Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody double clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Does anybody double clutch?

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake manifold!
I always get a good laugh out of that line!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: quattrosedan

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake manifold!
I always get a good laugh out of that line!

That always was one of the funniest lines out of that crappy movie.
However lately it has been happening to a few DSMs out there.
Doesn't seem to be caused from nitrous, just boost levels of 30-40psi.
Altough a nitrous backfire could due it as well. Here are some pics for your
enjoyment, I saved the best for last[:-](this guy was not running nitrous or methanale).
So as much as we have all laughed at this and made jokes, some are starting to eat
thier words. I don't even know if they made SMIM(sheet metal intake manifold) for
Audis or if any are running that much boost, but there are several available in the
DSM market and are a very common upgrade.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24589/EC8CD8F4C17D4415ADFEC59B39EDE8F5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24589/EEC3FF43C3744113A3E7A5AE1D09158D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24589/6A1CD04A44EF4D838D0506FEABC44097.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: dan

You almost had me? You never had me.... you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake manifold! You almost had me? Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston and rings you fried. Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning

Had to be said

Thats exactly why people bring it up.. and when so called pro's teach these kids how to do it.. they teach them correctly.. but sometimes they dont explain the part about not needing to do it.. but kids hear it on the fast and the furious and think its a race technique

Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

I have never Double Clutched in my life..... I heal/toe for braking into a corner.. If just before you down shift you roll your right foots toes over onto the gas pedal as you depress the clutch, and blip the throttle to rev match. Doing this well smooth everything out, and will help brake deeper into the corner cause you can still be 100% on the brake while you rev match your downshift.. As far as up shifting seems like double clutching no matter how you look at it will take longer. Me I don't lift the throttle when I'm drag racing. Just really gotta know where the gears are, and be really fast before you do this technique. An old man once told me "we never lifted the throttle in a race back in my day, if you did you lost." I've raced that way ever since.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear

Seriously, double clutching = teh ghey-ness, it is not a racing technique nor ever will be, like everyone has said learn to heal and toe, much more effective, look online there are how-to's all over the place. I have a friend who is a race car driver, he taught me, it does take some time and practice and is a little harder in a turbo'ed car vs a Naturally aspirated car because our compression is lower, however with a lightweight flywheel that helps the engine rev a bit faster.

Heal and toe, Man i hope i don't hear about other people double clutching anymore.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

+1

In stupid mvies like Fast and the furious. They say he needs to double clutchand not granny shift. A) thats useless, and B) they are going in a straight line!!!1 they arnt decellerating at all!

so after that rant.

it is a little wierd to heel-toe in these cars without practice expecially becuase the gas pedal is so much lower than the break. I put my heel onthe break and rotate my foot 90 degrees so my toe is on the gass.

i am not concidering a new set of cool looking pedals in which the gas sits a little higher...