Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU upgrade results compared to supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
DZA
1st Gear
Default ECU upgrade results compared to supercharger

This is for my 03 A4 3.0l...

I've been talking to a shop that specializes in ECU upgrades for European cars. They have a software upgrade for me where they said they reprogram the ECU. They told me that I can expect a 20hp and 22ft-lb increase. I posted somewhere else b/c I was asking if I could assume the quoted gains were to the crank. I was shown the photo I included of a dyno sheet with a before/after with installing a supercharger. The supercharger gained 31ft-lb so I'm using that to assume thata ECU upgrade couldn't gain just 9ft-lb less than that. Is that an accurate assumption or is it possible to gain 20hp and/or 22ft-lb to the wheels?

If it is just crank gains, is that something that will be noticeable? Will I feel the extra pull when accelarating? I'm fairly certain that I'd notice the gains if they were to the wheels, right? Or should I just keep my $449? (I will never get a supercharger so it's pretty much this or nothing... throwing that out there b/c I've searched and found a lot of "just save your money for the s/c")

The company is www.autothority.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/26266/A38839E513784E4498D6CC135D266D51.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ECU upgrade results compared to supercharger

Go with APR, GIAC, or REVO.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
DZA
1st Gear

That wasn't the question though. Why would one of those be any better? I talked with the company again and they said that 20hp/22ft-lb was the crank numbers and that I could expect 13-15hp to the wheels. I believe it was GAIC that showed a little less than that but if you have an intake an exhaust upgraded.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

these cars are all about chipping. the chip is an upload to your ecu "awakening the sleepin monster". lol put it that way. and oh you'll feel it. stock ecu limits the potential abilities of your audi. and chipping will remove that limit. and all tha hp gains they say are to the crank. but you will feel the difference. and it's worth tha money considering the hp gain to tha cost ratio. and intake and exhaust will give u 15-25 more hp. somewhere in that neighborhood.

bottom line: you'll feel it! lol

Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM

site sounds more like AZ every day

Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
DZA
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

Which means?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 PM
DZA
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kristokes

these cars are all about chipping. the chip is an upload to your ecu "awakening the sleepin monster". lol put it that way. and oh you'll feel it. stock ecu limits the potential abilities of your audi. and chipping will remove that limit. and all tha hp gains they say are to the crank. but you will feel the difference. and it's worth tha money considering the hp gain to tha cost ratio. and intake and exhaust will give u 15-25 more hp. somewhere in that neighborhood.

bottom line: you'll feel it! lol
so is one companies software better than anothers?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

some say thar apr is "smooth" and giac is "more aggressive". its all personal pref.

also apr is a flash and giac is a chip. apr is more undetectable.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: DZA

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

Which means?
AZ is audizine, another audi forum.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear

on a NA engine those power gains are not true. maybe the guy thought you had a 1.8 or 2.0t???

Quick Reply: ECU upgrade results compared to supercharger