Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Detail

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 04:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine Detail

i have a 1.8t 99.5 and want to do an engine detail. after looking up several sites that tells you to cover all sensors, carb, and any electrical that will short with water, not sure what is what. anyone can show with pics what needs to be covered? i started to do an oil change and noticed how much oil has dripped over the years. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Engine Detail

I am not really sure what needs to be covered, but I must have missed something when I gave myself an engine wash last year, cuz my tiptronic stopped working for about 2 weeks.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

i have done this a few time and covered nothing. i have had no probs but that is just me. i have also done this on diferent cars to (civic, focus, gtp, is300) only covered the air filter if it was exposed. if you feel like covering something it is up to you. everything in the engine bay "should" be water proof anyway. this is my experiance if you do this and your car dosen't work properly after please don't blame me

harry b

Old 06-19-2004, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Whats the process entail? I have never washed under the hood and am looking to keep it nice. I'ts been about two months since purchace where it was cherry under there, and still is, but i've been just dry wiping everything down. I believe there are degreasers and other soaps/solvents to use under the hood, just wanted to know more about what people do to clean the engine. Also what waxes do people use and how often regarding the exterior of the car.

Thanks -G

Old 06-19-2004, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

there are a few cleaners for the engine. i use CD2 it came in a box with cleaner and detailer. you can also just use gunk engine cleaner and find another engine detailer. i belive most pepboys, autozones, lapens, target and walmart carries these products.

after you buy a product read directions most are the same but some arediferent.

here are the steps ( engine must be worm but not to hot )

1 after covering certin items spray down entire engine bay with hose

2 spay on cleaner

3 let sit for 5-10 min

4 hose off

5 soak up any big spots of water (paper towel)

6 run engine til dry (dosn't take long)

7 cleen up crap srayed onto winshild/ rest of car

ps do this is street if posable cleaner makes a big mess

Old 06-20-2004, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

what about underneath the car (where the drain plugs are located at), there has been engine oil caked on where the plug is and with all the hoses and whatnot not sure if the product will eat through the hoses or not. there is also alot of pink stuff leaking and i believe that is the coolant but not sure, always heard that the coolant is red G12.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:54 AM
3rd Gear

er yah dude your coolant is pink you might want to get that taken care of if its leakin....