Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE STALLED OUT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 07:51 AM
1st Gear
Default ENGINE STALLED OUT

I have a new A4 2005.5 3.2 that stalled this morning. Just driving along at 50kmh and BAM! lost the engine and of course the power steering etc. Pulled off to the side, restarted the engine and continued on for another half kilometer to work and no further issues. I am about to hit the 10,000 mile mark and by conicidence I am taking it in for service in two days.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this happen? I am getting the "Service!" light, which is why it is going in for service on Monday, but no other failure or warning lights.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Default RE: ENGINE STALLED OUT

No idea, but I assume everything will be covered by warranty so hit up the dealership for the bill.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

I will but it is a bit scary to think of that happening on the Autobahn at 180kmh. I was driving it again tonight and this afternoon with no problems. Just very strange. A loud "chunk" and then nothing. Of course all the power components failed immediately - steering, brakes, etc. At 45kmh in town not a big deal. But at high speed could be very very bad.

I'll take it in and see what they say.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:42 PM
18T
4th Gear

Make sure you storm in and act extremely mad (which you probably are) tell them that this situation was life threatning and that it could have been much worse if you were on the autobahn at 180kmh . tell them you commute on the autobahn and so on. Tell them to take the car in and inspect it and to find out whats wrong and change it or legal action will follow.

put extreme pressure on them

Old 11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

i say that's a good idea ^

Old 11-25-2005, 06:55 PM

warranty issue not a problem, say nothing just drop it off with a very basic "blind" idea of what you think happened, don't mention the autobahn or they could blame you for the damage

Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 PM

never do an attitude thing when you have plenty of warranty they could suspect you have done it your self and will go out of their way to prove it

Old 11-25-2005, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Dude dont go in there and be an a-hole about it

They have nothing to do about it and you will probably be very dissapointed when they tell you theres nothing wrong with the car

Im not saying there is nothing wrong, just a scenario

Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 AM
4th Gear

Wow! sounds like you speak from expierence stef (lol)

ORIGINAL: 18T

Make sure you storm in and act extremely mad (which you probably are) tell them that this situation was life threatning and that it could have been much worse if you were on the autobahn at 180kmh . tell them you commute on the autobahn and so on. Tell them to take the car in and inspect it and to find out whats wrong and change it or legal action will follow.

put extreme pressure on them

Old 11-28-2005, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

Took it in this morning, explained what happened (in my broken German, luckily they speak solid English). I was cool about it, just told them what happened. They are going to run a diagnostic on the onboard computer, see if that shows anything. I doubt that it will, I hate to be a skeptic, and maybe Audi will prove me wrong. I do not know the level of sophistication of the onboard computer

I drove it to Munich on Saturday (aprox. 100 miles, round trip) and ran like a champ. Transmission and engine were like warm butter. The whole thing is just very strange.

Other than this strange occurrence, I love the car. Let me also add that Germans love Audi. Porsche and Audi (and VW to some extent). They gush with love over Audi and Porsche here. Not so kind to BMW and Mercedes. And I am in Bavaria, land of BMW.

I went through Ingolstadt (home of Audi) the other day and checked out the factory/campus. Did not do the tour yet, but intend to. It is a huge facility. And the entire town is driving Audi as you can imagine.

Quick Reply: ENGINE STALLED OUT