Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/turbo experts..where am I losing power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
4th Gear
Default Engine/turbo experts..where am I losing power?

OK, here is the situation.

97 1.8tq

I was driving the other day, heard a "pop" and car started to run like ****. Barely ran, really. I limped it home about a half mile.

After looking everything over, I found my hose from smic to the intake had poped off on the intake side. Which explains why it barely ran.

So, I hooked it back on and secured it tightly. Car runs good.......but..........

It seems to have lost a little power. And I am also wondering what caused this in the first place.

It feels like maybe the turbo is just not boosting as much. Before, if i was in 2nd gear at 3k, and punch it, it would seriously throw you back in the seat. Now, it still has pretty good power and pickup, but just does not seem quite the same. It still accelerates pretty quickly, but seems to have lost a little of the "kick in the pants" power it had just a day ago.

So, my first thought, was to reset the ECU. Figured maybe it just got some bad data form the hose coming off. So, last night I disconnected the battery for a half hour.

I drove it a few miles last night, and about 15 today on the way to work, but still no improvement. Car runs fine, drives fine, just a "slight" decrease in performance when really getting on it.

Do I just need to wait and see if the ECU makes adjustments and my power comes back? Am I just impatient? How many miles should it take? Also, I have disconnected the battery before, and never noticed any difference in performance.

So, the long awaited question.......

Where should I begin to look.....a boost leak somewhere? Maybe the DV is damaged and not holding as much boost? I dont hear any boost leak, although I am not sure what the best way to go about looking for something like this is.

Any ideas you have, especially if you have experienced a similar issue, are welcomed!

P.S. The engine is not throwing any codes, looked for that already.

Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Engine/turbo experts..where am I losing power?

Get a boost gauge.. If for some reason you overboosted (like WAY over boosted) that could kill your DV and make a hose pop off. Are you chipped?

Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

I think you need a boost guage.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:48 PM
4th Gear

Yes, I am chipped. I do not have a boost gauge.

The car was chipped when I bought it, Authority chips is the brand. I have been happy with it, it really smokes, until now at least

Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

Just to add more info,

When this happened, I was accelerating, but not really hard or anything. Was just rolling along, hit the gas a bit, and "pop"!!!!

I wouldn't think it would over-boost from fairly normal driving. Maybe I was on it a little bit.......

Where would I look for a boost leak? Is there a specific location I should look to see or hear a leek? Where is the DV located? I have not really looked for it before. I believe i have an upgraded one, because the old one was in the trunk when I bought the car.

Thanks!!!! I will search for DV right now on the forum, please dont flame me!

Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 PM
cmM
1st Gear

How about a compression test?
If you are losing boost, then the compression should be lower in the cylinder, shouldn't it?
It would also save you from having to install a gage if you don't want it.

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt, I've only had my Audi for a a couple of weeks.

cmM

Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

id say you got a big ol boost lear somewhere in your system id check to see if maybe you ruptured a vital hose or something

Old 05-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Zombie Defense Force

find a boost gauge and see whats going on. you might of ripped a hole in the pipe that came off and not noticed it

Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

Anyone out there in Columbus ohio that has a vag com / boost gauge / and likes to drink good beer?

If so, let me know, I could use your help!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Zombie Defense Force

check the vag com locator in the stick up top under audi links
its the last one

Quick Reply: Engine/turbo experts..where am I losing power?