Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

epc light just came on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear
Default epc light just came on....

So I just bought the car last week and I've been reading the forums since then. Today when I went down to the bank, my worst fears (reliability) were confirmed. The engine took a while to start up, almost like a dead battery, but when it finally did, the EPC light was lit. It stayed on. I immeadiately opened the owners manual and read that it meant I needed to take it to the dealer. Does anyone have any ideas what this could mean? The only symptoms I could see were a high idle (1200 rpms) and the computer display between the gauges being not completely lit up. I turned off the car and turned it back on, no more epc light, and the idle is back to 800~ but the display still isnt fully lit. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: epc light just came on....

Depending on what year you have, there is a button on/under the windshield wiper stalk/lever that turns on/off your info display. Sounds unrelated to the EPC light. As for the EPC light, it relates to the DBW system. If your throtle body was sticking or out of alignment, it could cause what you describe. If its off, I wouldnt worry about it anymore.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
5th Gear

if it doesn't come back you'll be fine. also what engine do you have? if you bought the 1.8 then your idea of reliability is the same as mine lol. 2.8 FTW!!!! and the rpm is most likely because your engine was first cold and then it warmed up. 1200rpm is about right for cold engine. 800 is normal for warm engine.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Just called the dealer and they said something about the throttle body too. Ill have to take a look.

Sorry, the car is a 2001 1.8t quattro 5-speed (a4 obviously )

The only thing thats wierd is the display is still a bit dim, its not like it was before the light came on.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
5th Gear

see if you can get access to vag com. a throttle body adaptation could do the trick.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Site Moderator

You dont need vag to do a throtle body adaptation. Just put the key in, turn to ON without starting and let it sit for 3 mins without touching the gas pedal. Take the key out and youre done.

hiwords just to give you an idea of the grand scheme of things, we get way more 2.8 A4's and Passats in for service than 1.8T's. Im not saying that makes a 1.8T more reliable, Im just saying.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: moutard12

The only thing thats wierd is the display is still a bit dim, its not like it was before the light came on.
The dash lights auto adjust for brightness depending on how dark/light the outside is. The info display is also VERY known to get flakey pixels. If your info display is only dim but has no distorted pixels, consider yourself lucky.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

i understand. what i always think is that most people who buy the 1.8t usually know how to DIY. the 2.8 which has a little better luxury options end up with the richer folks who won't bother with DIY since they have money. not trying to be stereotypical but it's just what i've seen in my area.

as far as the lights it's basically what onepoint8tee said. and for the digital display, mine is perfect lol. so i must be super lucky or something (knock on wood)

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: hiwords

mine is perfect lol. so i must be super lucky or something (knock on wood)
Yes, but, its only a matter of time.... Enjoy the pixels while they last. Dont take them for granted, ever.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Heh. Well the display seems to be back to normal again. It actually doesn't have any missing pixels, so I guess I'm lucky too. 76k on the clock.

I'm pretty mechanically oriented, but its a new car to me so I'm trying to learn it as I go. And I wasn't knocking on the car, its just the only thing that I could find wrong. I love it so far.