Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXHAUST PROBLEM...DESPERATE FOR HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default EXHAUST PROBLEM...DESPERATE FOR HELP!

I posted a few threads a few weeks back about my B6 3.0 Ultra-sport and the rattling I've had coming from my exhaust, but here's a review:

I've taken the car into the local Stealership 8 times now. They at one point replaced the resonator and the piping leading back to the dual mufflers, but didn't solve the rattling/tinging metal/leaking sound coming from the exhaust. The sound is evident 100% of when I drive, whether revving at a light, driving at 5 mph, 50, or 80 mph. It's gotten worst since it started at roughly 22,000 miles (28k now).

My buddy(SilverB5_S4) and I found research on AudiWorld.com with people having the same problem..same car...2004 A4 3.0 Ultra-Sports (19 of them!!!). There was a metal sleeve somewhere on the exhaust that was not fitting right from the factory and causes a leak.

The dealership says the sleeves are new. Their basic stance is that this is a "Natural Characteristic" of the car, and they have two other 3.0's to compare it with to back up their claim. My point is..okay..there's 3 cars that need to be fixed then, because the car is not supposed to sound like this. I AM EMBARRASSED TO DRIVE THE CAR AND HIT THE GAS TO ANY EXTENT BECAUSE OF THE AWFUL SOUND IT PRODUCES!

They said since there's no part that's broken, they won't fix it...again this being the 8th time I've brought it in. They had a field technician come out (name known but not disclosed on here) twice, and said there's nothing to be fixed, although 80% of the time, they've acknowledged there's a rattling sound..but again..that it's a "Natural Characteristic" and that's how the car just sounds. THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Please....please....please....if anyone knows anyone who's had this problem, please let me know. My next step tomorrow is picking the car up, going to a muffler shop to get an estimate and diagnosis to see if they know what's wrong, and getting documentation from the Stealership about what they've done to fix it, and then contacting one of my client's ex-husbands, who's an attorney who's been briefed on what's happened so far.

I'm doing research trying to find similar cases..but if anyone can help...I'm desperate! This car is my absolute baby; my utmost possession. It gets as many looks and as much admiration as about any car around. I don't want to sell my car, but may be forced to!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: EXHAUST PROBLEM...DESPERATE FOR HELP!

bump

Old 08-11-2006, 03:33 AM
1st Gear

Yes yes yes....I found out what it was. Exactly what I suspected. The dealership/stealership stressed it was the small piping that connects the two exhaust pipes about a foot before the resonator (It's an "H" shape)..so the small horizontal piece, and that there's nothing they can fix.

I took the car to a muffler shop I trust, and they found it was a metal sleeve that doesn't fit right..just what I've told them! Get this...they replaced 3 of 4 sleeves when they re-did the resonator. Guess which sleeve is defective..what??? The one they didn't replace?? No way! Damn...so now I'm taking it to the other local service branch of Audi Monday and hopefully it'll finally be resolved!

Old 08-11-2006, 04:08 AM
SoCal Crew Member

well, good luck with the fix... maybe a muffler shop could just weld it and it would be fine

Old 08-11-2006, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: seahawkfan94

Yes yes yes....I found out what it was. Exactly what I suspected. The dealership/stealership stressed it was the small piping that connects the two exhaust pipes about a foot before the resonator (It's an "H" shape)..so the small horizontal piece, and that there's nothing they can fix.

I took the car to a muffler shop I trust, and they found it was a metal sleeve that doesn't fit right..just what I've told them! Get this...they replaced 3 of 4 sleeves when they re-did the resonator. Guess which sleeve is defective..what??? The one they didn't replace?? No way! Damn...so now I'm taking it to the other local service branch of Audi Monday and hopefully it'll finally be resolved!

Hey Mark I deserve a little bit of credit..I had to be the "bad guy"..and pretty much tell the Service Manager that he's an f-in' retard!!! I told you that I would help you get it fixed..and I aint't done yet!!!