Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, brakes are gone...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Hello, brakes are gone...

Hello

The brakes in my 98 B5 a4 have deteriorated completely and I decided it is time to replace both the disks and the pads, but I am thinking of going non stock, because my experience with stock isnt too good...first of all the car doesnt stop all that good and it just eats up brake pads? I was thinking of a nice set of steel brake lines, some good brake fluid, some aftermarket pads (preferably with a longer life span than the OEM pads) and some slotted rotors (since I have to replace them anyway)...a big brake kit from brembo or any other manufacturer is out of the question, I definately dont need that kind of stoping power nor do I have the money to pay for it.

I was wondering, as I asume youve been in the same situation, do you have any sugestions for me: in terms of which products to watch out for which would work out great, and how much it would cost...i was thinking in the area of 600-700 bucks??? Also I live in the EU so if anyone knows a good internet shop located here it would be great, otherwise I might get stuck paying shipping

Thanks
brta

Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Hello, brakes are gone...

get a8 rotors and tt carriers, best bang for the buck.

ECStuning.com

Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick reply

Yeah I was looking over the site and I found the kit you meant, it does really look like a good choice...which of the availible brake pads would you choose though? That was my main problem with the old brake system, the pads wearing out way too quickly.

thanks
brta

Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm make believe

hawks will be great with the A8/TT upgrade. Just make sure you get plain rotors so you dont go through the pads faster

Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, ive heard that about rotors, always though it was kind of of an "urban myth" but it does make sense that the slots (not so much drilled???) would wear through the pad faster. I was looking at the Hawk - Ceramic Compound Performance Pads, they claim less dust, better braking, extended pad and rotor life!?!?!? damn if thats true then I am all for them, however also the HPS compounds are looking good? Did you recomend the plain rotors because I was complaining about pad life, or is it just generally accepted as better? cause there is a little ricer in me telling me that the sloted and drilled would look pretty sleek, would the difference in pad life be that great?

Thanks
brta

Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm make believe

Slotted wipe away some of the pad to keep it from glazing, so yes, it is true pad life is affected. Since its a street car, slots wont be needed. Drilled, like slots, take away surface for the pad to make contact with the rotor and they are for pushing gas and water in the holes. Only buy drilled from a reputiable source. I think you would be happy with either Hawk pad

Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

I have experienced this pad glazing although on a smaller scale (downhill bike), (only drilled rotors)...I never realized the slots were used specificaly to keep it from glazing, I assume this is because of the temperature...but although the car is a street car, it does make alot of fast stops, my road to work is a semi-highway...with traffic lights, its all straight (with no place for radar and no roads intersecting) for 10 km before the lights start so pretty much every car is traveling at 120-130 km/h plus, and then the light pops to yellow and everyone brakes like an idiot...i drive this road a couple of times a day, and at night I tend to go faster than usual (it really is that nice of a place), and I do brake rapidly from a very high speed when I approach the crossroads because of safety, so the pads would be getting there share of glazing?? or does glazing occur due toextreme temps the car just wouldnt reach??

Sorry for all the questions, its just when it comes to brake systems, I would rather ask too many than too little questions...

Thanks
brta

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm make believe

the higher operating temp of the pads will prevent glazing in daily driving, even in a spirited manor. Glazing would occur in more of an autocross or circuit racing conditions where the heat is high and constant.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

I think I found my new brake system:

FRONT: A8 rotor/TT riser Hawk HPS

rear: OEM Hawk HPS

I decided to go with the HPS pads because the ceramic only comes for the front, and having different pads f/r doesnt seem like that good of an idea?? Would adding steel lines make a big difference (not in brakeing force) as far as feel an modulaton are concerend, or should I just save my money for the clutch thats also gonna need replaceing soon.

Thanks you very much for the quick answers

brta

Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm make believe

ss lines give a firmer peddel feel. It keeps the lines from swellingunder force like rubber lines. It gives a nice feel, cost/worth it is up to you.

Quick Reply: Hello, brakes are gone...