Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP IM GETTING THE RUN AROUND!!!! this sound is weird

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 01:23 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP IM GETTING THE RUN AROUND!!!! this sound is weird

okay well the situation is i have this sound thats coming from either mid under the car or the front of the car, at first it sounded like a broken heat shield on an exhaust, which when i took to the mechanic he said it doesnt exist with audis.. or maybe just my audi... now his telling me all this other stuff it "mite" be in other words, ways to raise him funds... i keep getting different opinions, after listening carefully ive noticed this sound only comes when the cars under load, such as taking off , or the beginning of first two gears only. once driving at a steady speed you cant hear it... it sounds exactly like a broken heat shield but isnt what could it be helppppp pleaseeeee????

Old 02-19-2005, 01:54 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: HELP IM GETTING THE RUN AROUND!!!! this sound is weird

Take the mechanic for a ride in the car, and show him exactly what the noise is, and what causes it.

I the mechanic is having difficulty diagnosing it in person, we will have more difficulty over the internet.

You haven't told use anything about your car... I assume it is an A4 as you are posting to this grouo, but what is the year, engine, transmission, FWD or Quattro. Could be as simple as tire tread, could be wheel bearing, could be CV joint, could be something more serious.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

sorry about the lack of details, its an a4 (b5), 1.8L non-turbo, auto, FWD. anytips?
also i dont know if i have cruise control, i have the switches there and the set button, but it doesnt work, i checked fuse box and theres no fuse in item 11, which is for cruise control... when i try put a fuse in, it just slides out, does that mean i have no cruise control and the switches are there for display?

any help is apreciated, thanx.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

i had a very similar sound. it was in first gear only. it was made louder by puting strain on it I.E. going up a steep hill in 1st. found out my first gear had a chip in it (a tooth or two missing). i have a manual . had to replace my tranny. not cheep. hopefuly it is not this

good luck
harry b

Old 02-20-2005, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

well after taking it to several mechanics they say its the tension pully which is located near the front of the car, this hopefully isnt expensive, does anyone know if any other car makes use that same pully? just trying to save money

Old 02-20-2005, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem like that i have a 2001 1.8t Q. in my first and secoond gear when acceleration kind of slow around 2 rpm i have a sound that sounds like a heat sheild hitting something.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:17 PM
4th Gear

If its for ribbed or V-belt it shouldn't be expensive.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

if it is the tension pully just make sure you get the updated one

Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

great now ive had 2 different mechanics tell me two diffferent things...

1) driver side engine mount is broken, which may be causing vibration noise
2) exhaust leak may be causing this noise... hmmmm

any one who has had this problem please advice.. thanx

Old 02-21-2005, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

Well, gosh if the engine mount is broke, regardless, if it fixes the noise or not, get it replaced!, who cares about a noise if your engine starts moveing around!

Quick Reply: HELP IM GETTING THE RUN AROUND!!!! this sound is weird