Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ME! My car is sitting duck (Cannot get to water pump)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:54 AM
4th Gear
Default HELP ME! My car is sitting duck (Cannot get to water pump)

How do I remove the part I am point at .... I am trying to access water pump but there is a piece in the way

Old 10-20-2005, 02:55 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: HELP ME! My car is sitting duck

help

Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 AM
4th Gear

Oh yeah that blasted piece of ****. It has a few alen bolts that can be reached through the hole in the pully, and guess what they are two diff sizes. I throu that thing in the trash after I was done getting it off and replaced it with an electric fan. Good luck man.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 AM
4th Gear

also it would be a very good Idea to set your engine to top dead center befor removing the belt or anything else.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 AM
4th Gear

1 Can but HARDLY. The other cannot. How do I TAKE THAT FAN OFF? It's about 1-quater of an inch of space,between pully & where allen key goes thru.

ORIGINAL: flyboy

Oh yeah that blasted piece of ****. It has a few alen bolts that can be reached through the hole in the pully, and guess what they are two diff sizes. I throu that thing in the trash after I was done getting it off and replaced it with an electric fan. Good luck man.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:42 AM
4th Gear

man, Its been so long sence I ditched that thing I cant even remember. Actualy there are two diff size holes the small one lines up with the small alen head bolt and the big with the big. also. if you can rent a strap wrench and a large pipe wrench or something you can twist that fan clutch off. I dont know witch way but I think its the same way the fan spins.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:34 AM
4th Gear

I cannot get it off for my life.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
3rd Gear

The fan is reverse thread so it loosens to the left from the front of the motor. The hard part is holding the hub while loosening the fan. Theres a special tool that fits in the holes in the hub. The bracket and pully is pretty easy once you find all the bolts. Theres 1 or 2 you get thru the pully with a regular allen and a couple more on the bottom. Theres one that requires a long allen to get to. Use a mirror and a light to find the bolts that go thru the pully.(note bolts donot come out of pully but it isnt necessary to completly remove them from bracket to remove braket. Just leave them loose behind pully.)

Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
4th Gear

Yup installed water pump. Now my car doesnt start great.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
6th Gear

You made timing marks? Did you hand crank the engine before trying to starting it?

Quick Reply: HELP ME! My car is sitting duck (Cannot get to water pump)