Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey stranger, did i make the right decision?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
tdn
2nd Gear
Default hey stranger, did i make the right decision?

I was at a dealership looking at a 2002 a4 1.8tqm 75k.. asking $12,900, if paid in cash. 15,000 normally. I only have 10-11k.. they said they would take that, have me pay the rest biweekly, no interest.

Looking at the car, it looks good. started it up, was pretty rough, engine had a little vibration, more than usual. dealer said its because its been sitting for a two weeks. tested the ebrake, brakes (rear) seemed like they needed to be replaced soon because it was loose.. is that right? slight tear in driver seat, not noticable. 30 day warranty.. the car was overall in great shape, very clean. oh yeah, he has no service records and had no clue if the timing belt needs to be changed.

i offered 11k. he made a call and said no, but looked like he thought it was possible. so i walked out, told him i'd look else where. he gave me his card and i gave him my name and number.

i wonder if i made a mistake.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: hey stranger, did i make the right decision?

You were right to walk!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Never ever never ever ever never ever buy a car without a complete service history unless you: (a) personally know the owner (b) buy it on recommendation from a reliable mechanic who has done all the work on the car and knows the full service history (c) has butt tons of cash lying around and you're looking for a better way of getting rid of it other than setting it on fire.

On this one I would guess the following:

new timing belt
rough idle might be caused by faulty starter motor or by a bad vacuum hose (check if it throws a CEL after prolonged driving)
brakes (probably front in addition to rear since the fronts tend to go first)
that tear on the driver's seat is a PITA to fix and will only get worse
also 12900 is a lot to ask for a car like this in excellent condition

Shop the AudiWorld forums for a better deal or buy from a different dealer.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
4th Gear

Good advice ^^^^^

good thing you ran....

Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

thanks for the input.

anyway, is 12,900 really too much for an 02 a4 1.8tqm with 75k? i ask because most cars i'm finding with around 75k has a 13,500 asking price. cars with around 50k miles come with a $15000-16,000 asking price. I get a feeling if the dealership has the car by the end of the week, they'll give me a call with a lower price. maybe 11k or so.

if anyones from MA or the New England area, where else should I search? I'm looking on craigslist, autotrader, ebay etc.. I wouldn't mind buying off an Audi forum, but it's rare to find a b6 on a forum in the Mass area and there isn't really much to choose from.

btw, could anyone look up this VIN for me WAULC68EX2A247527 - haha.. worth a try.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

My car had 47k and was $11,xxx

I win!

You just need to look around till you find the right one, namely, a B5S4!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, if you have 11 grand to spend, buy a B5 S4. Double the power and double almost all the performance of the 1.8T.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

I'd personally stay away from a dealer that does that type of financing. Also, price shouldn't bedetermined by payment method. How is your credit? Also, when dealing with these types of dealerships they'll make promises to fix any problems. Don't believe them and get it in writing. Theywill forget after the sale.

You might want to consider getting a certified pre-owned. With that kind of down payment you'd have good equity, a low rate of depreciationand financing should be easy and a good credit builder.

But yea, your price ranges seem average. I guess it's market value, just not a great deal.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: vassar007

Yeah, if you have 11 grand to spend, buy a B5 S4. Double the power and double almost all the performance of the 1.8T.
you forgot about doubling the maintence cost

Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: micbud

I'd personally stay away from a dealer that does that type of financing. Also, price shouldn't bedetermined by payment method. How is your credit? Also, when dealing with these types of dealerships they'll make promises to fix any problems. Don't believe them and get it in writing. Theywill forget after the sale.

You might want to consider getting a certified pre-owned. With that kind of down payment you'd have good equity, a low rate of depreciationand financing should be easy and a good credit builder.

But yea, your price ranges seem average. I guess it's market value, just not a great deal.

Certified pre-owned would be ideal for him, however its always a little more expensive.

Quick Reply: hey stranger, did i make the right decision?