Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my timing belt has been replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Default How can I tell if my timing belt has been replaced

Yeah newbie here, just bought an a4, in sig.

Changed the oil, it was already really clean
Went to change airfilter, but it was spotless
Went to change plugs, but they are bosch +4's that look like they have 200 miles on them.

The car has 92,000 miles and looks to be meticulously taken care of, and that makes me wonder if someone already changed the timing belt on this car. I would hate tochange a new belt.

Anyway of telling?

Thank you.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: How can I tell if my timing belt has been replaced

u really can't unless u asked the previous owner. usually when people change the timing belt, they also change the water pump, cam tensioner roller and idler roller. so if those those things look new then the timing belt most likely may have been changed. also check the belt, if u see alot of black dust around it, it's on it's way out. if the area is clean and shiny, again it's and indication that it may have been changed. congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum, i bet it drives rly good compared to ur mustang huh?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

You could check the belt for any cracks.. also if you see black powder around the areas, that means your belt is on it's way out. You should always buy a car with origional documents and have it inspected before purchase. That would eliminate the need to worry for such problems. I believe audi does a full point inspection, i'd get that done and see if anything else needs to be fixed.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM

It does drive quite nice, especially since the mustang has been my daily driver for the entire summer. Solid engine mounts combined with the cam I am running seem to shake the car a lot. This is my 13th car, all have been domestic before this, I am kind of liking the German engineering though. I actually met two guys that work for Audi in Germany when I was down in Peru last week.

I am not worried about little things to go wrong, I expect that, as for paying some audi tech to look at the car for, well that would be a total waste of money since I am a farily capable mechanic.

Do the cam tensioner roller and idler roller have to be replaced when the belt is done? If so, i will take a look at those before doing the complete change.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:30 PM
5th Gear

they dont' have to be but they are highly recommended.