Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt - just replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default Timing belt - just replaced

For those of you who ask what does a TB job consist of, I just had mine done for the second time by my trusted indie shop. Parts ($424) consisted of:
- timing belt
- TB roller
- TB tensioner pulley
- TB tensioner lever
- TB damper
- water pump
- thermostat
- coolant
- serpentine belt
- antifreeze

Labor was 6 hours at the local shop rate (probably 1/2 of what a dealer charges). So, if anybody is near southwest MI and needs the work done, I'd be glad to recommend a great shop. My daughter's A4 3.0 goes in next month. ka-ching

Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

thanks for posting this! I am about to have my first TB job done, and was looking at this kit from ECS:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...Timing/ES6168/

Looks like it includes:
Timing belt

Idler roller

Tensioner roller

Hydraulic tensioner

Relay lever for hydraulic tensioner

Water pump

Cam seals (2)

Crank/Oil pump seal

Thermostat

Thermost O-Ring

Accessory drive belt

Two 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 coolant

All for $280.

Do you think this kit is missing something, or has stuff I don't need?

Stupid me...I just had an axle replaced, a bi-pipe installed, 2 new DVs installed, and a snub mount. They had the front end off to do it - I should have had them do the TB job then...

Weird, they didn't install my throttle body boot...still not sure why.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
3rd Gear

I would confirm the waterpump impeller is metal and not plastic. My shop purchased the parts they needed (not a kit) and if I had the leaks, they would have purchased and installed the seals you listed. I suspect the t-stat came with the ring or seal - they would not have reinstalled with the old one. They did a thorough inspection on my car. Since it has 184k miles, I asked him to check the original radiator and heater hoses and the vacuum lines - all good.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Yes, that is the GRAF water pump with metal impeller. Here is the link to the water pump itself: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ump/ES1302991/

(I also figured out why they didn't install my TBB when they installed my new bi-pipe....it doesn't need a TBB now! Since the APR bi-pipe is all one piece, it bolts directly...no need for the boot.)

Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoshandDawn
thanks for posting this! I am about to have my first TB job done, and was looking at this kit from ECS:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...Timing/ES6168/

Looks like it includes:
Timing belt

Idler roller

Tensioner roller

Hydraulic tensioner

Relay lever for hydraulic tensioner

Water pump

Cam seals (2)

Crank/Oil pump seal

Thermostat

Thermost O-Ring

Accessory drive belt

Two 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 coolant

All for $280.

Do you think this kit is missing something, or has stuff I don't need?

Stupid me...I just had an axle replaced, a bi-pipe installed, 2 new DVs installed, and a snub mount. They had the front end off to do it - I should have had them do the TB job then...

Weird, they didn't install my throttle body boot...still not sure why.
That's a complete kit - I've installed plenty of them. And I can tell you from experience as well that the water pump impeller in these kits will not be plastic, so no worries there.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

That's good to hear. I'm getting ready to change the timing belt on my wife's car and I'm considering the ECS kit. The cam seals are leaking like crazy, so I need to change those while I'm in there too. I paid to have it done the last two times (probably at the same shop ppgoal used), but after taking the entire front of the car off to change the alternator a while back, it doesn't seem as intimidating any more. My main concern is getting the right parts.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

Nice to see some locals in here. I just picked up a '05 Allroad, so if you care to share the name of the shop you used I would be interested.

I've used Arie Nol's in GR a few times. No issues with them really, but wouldn't scoff at trying someone new if they have a good reputation with the forum members.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

I've had good luck with Euro Tech in Holland. Fortunately, over the last 175K miles we've put on the car, it's only been in the shop a couple times, but they've done good work each time.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

Nice to see some people from the GR area as well! my 2000 a6 2.7 has just been sitting burried in the snow for the past 2 months as my alternator has been out and I haven't been motivated to clean up my garage and make room to replace it. I also have 168k on the car and the last timing belt was done around 100k, so i think I am going to roll them all into one weekend project. Does anyone have a cam tool that I could borrow for a case of beer? I would like to order the ECS kit because of the price, but might go with blauparts since i need to rent the tool. I'm hoping to get the belt and alternator all done for around $425 in parts, which is what I have priced out so far if I dont have to go with blau. Let me know, thanks!