Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to replace timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How much to replace timing belt?

speaking in general... and from experience. =)

Old 12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: BigStun

I found one place tell me 450 and another tell me 175 for labor plus parts....I'm guessing the cost of a timing belt is $75 or so? While I understand the concept of "you get what you pay for"...how hard is it for a mechanic to put on a timing belt?

Something else...whle I have a mechanic doing work on my car, is there anything else really important that I should have replaced while it's being worked on? Not looking to upgrade anything, just replace something if it needs it. The car has 85k miles...and other hoses or gaskets or so on?
Yeah... if a shop quotes you 175... just see what happens... they will tear your car apart (and won't know how) and realize that they didn't quote nearly enough... and try and screw you over.

BUt the most important thing... is that a shop quoting 175 doesn't know what they are doing, or else they'd have quoted more.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

My dealership charged me $1045 for my 1.8tq. I know i paid more than i would at some other shop but i was willing to pay a little more to have it done by people who work on and know these machines very well. I have had my fill of half *** "discount" mechanics guessing their way through my engine compartment.

That was ok with my 82' jetta but not my Audi. I dunno. $1200 does sound a little steep though. If you want the security of a dealership job, maybe try another dealership.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: rogue2

My dealership charged me $1045 for my 1.8tq. I know i paid more than i would at some other shop but i was willing to pay a little more to have it done by people who work on and know these machines very well. I have had my fill of half *** "discount" mechanics guessing their way through my engine compartment.

That was ok with my 82' jetta but not my Audi. I dunno. $1200 does sound a little steep though. If you want the security of a dealership job, maybe try another dealership.
Or an independent shop that specialize in Audi's.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Agreed, Although some of those guys don't exactly inspire confidence. It drives me crazy when i go to a "specialty" auto shop and they have a million half worked on cars out front because there is one guy who owns the place working on everything. I respect their skill but there is such a thing as over committing.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 AM
4th Gear

STAY AWAY FROM STEALERSHIP!

Try local European shops. GO there to do your work on car more u go more u will trust them & they might even cut the cost.

ORIGINAL: BigStun

98 A4 v6

Dealership told me $1200....should a local mechanic charge less? I would have never thought it would cost so much...is it just a big pain in the *** to do or summin?

Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

well i was quoted 2100.00 for the Timing belt here in Nevada ... lol

Old 12-18-2005, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

An independent German Car Mechanic should do the job for under $800. Change the tensioner so the timing belt does not slip.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Well I want to put in my two cents.

I have done my V6 2.8 A6 3 times now and I found the first time easy enough 4 hours. Now I can do it in about 2 hours. If you use blauparts.com you can get instructions, rent the twin cam lock out tool, and get the whole kit of water pump tensioner, belt and all.

As for can I just do the belt? Well the reason I have done my 3 times is because to First time I went with just the belt, then about 5000 miles later, the water pump went. Do it all at once, it was all built to last about the same amount of time. The third time was my second belt (because Audis last)

The tricky part on the A4s is that they are squished in, so according to most of the posts about it, you have to pull the bumper and radiator to do the job.

I can send you a write up on how to do it, but I have posted it on this site like 5 times now and most people don't listen anyway.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
18T
4th Gear

IT SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN $650!!!

Quick Reply: How much to replace timing belt?