Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think im getting screwed how should i handle this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default I think im getting screwed how should i handle this...

So i bought a 2001 1.8 from a guy in my town. I test drove it about a week ago everything was fine decided to buy it. He still have a loan on it so we payed the 13k dollar loan off then gave him the rest in person last night. Didnt start the car while he was around but after he left i turned it on and Noticed, it had the Check oil caution. I checked the oil which is fine. So im guessing its sludge. i called him about 2 hours ago and left a message still waiting for a reply. Im really not sure what to do about this, should we fix the sludge problem or give the car back and ask for the money. Which he doesnt have because we payed of 13k of it to the loan. im very frustraited and pissed that he would drop the car off with the SERVICE ENGINE! every time you turn the car on. could it be anything easier then a sludge fix?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I think im getting screwed how should i handle this...

are you sure you wern't holding the trip computer button down while you were starting the car, i did that once and service oil light came on. also i read in the manuel that our cars are set to display that service oil message within 10 days or a few miles untill are next oil change is due. One of these could be your problem.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

as i start the car is says Service! then i hold the trip button and it says service then i press it again and it shows the Oil symbol and the Collant symbol in red. Am i reading it right?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

hmmm you might want to check when the oil was last changed if you cant find that out then just take the time to do it yourself. It can't hurt

But i have no idea what the coolant error is trying to tell you, check your levels.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Coolant levels are fine, so it could just be a faulty sensor. i believe the time for an oil change is about now. Im just afraid i was sold a sludged engine.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

its not really that bad, its a used car, you cant expect everythying to run perfect all the time, they have an engine oil flush system at most mechanic shops, its pretty cheap, not that expensive, then just put in some new oil and your good to go for another 5000 miles.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:24 AM
4th Gear

The service engine light is not a problem. That light trips if it is over 5k miles since the timer was re-set.

When you start the car, and the "service" light goes out, there should be no more lights coming on in the center display.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Right, after the service goes away it just goes to the normal screen. ok i can stop worrying now and go back to studying for the History exam

Old 06-09-2005, 02:12 AM
4th Gear

Have fun.

Buy a used manual off Ebay.

Invest 15 bucks in a repair guide from Haynes that you can buy at Pepboys.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

i was really worried when that light came on right before i went to school one day, i didn't even want to drive to school.

then i read the manuel and i was fine

Quick Reply: I think im getting screwed how should i handle this...