Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Problem

Old 11-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Default Idle Problem

Ok here goes. This is the first (and last) Audi I've owned. It's a 97 1.8t. I bought it from a friend of mine who knew nothing about nothing when it came to doing work on cars. It was mixing. So I took it and replaced the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. While I was at it I replaced the plugs, coil packs, and air filter. Then thecar drove ok except for under a load (when I pushed the accelerator more than half way down) it would buck and jump and act crazy. I took the MAF off to clean it. When I put it back together it wouldn't start at all. So I've replaced the MAF with a new one, and now it will start, but it won't idle. I have to continually pump the accelerator for it to run, and now it smokes around the turbo. I can rev it up a little and when I take my foot off it makes a strange noise like I have a blow off valve. I don't. The CEL doesn't come on. I dont have a code reader so I don't know what it's throwing. I'm moving back to America in the next month (I'm a soldier stationed in Germany) and I just shipped my tools. I have access to a place with tools, but need to figure out what's going on before taking it there and wasting more time on this POS. I know I've thrown a lot in here, but I like to be thorough. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Idle Problem

It could be a boost leak. That happened to my friends GSX, it would idle like ****.

check this site to see if it helps good luck man

http://teamzx2.com/index.php?topic=12254.0;wap2

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Idle Problem

Well I've sold it for $1,000. Damn this hurts.