Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If anyone is interested, a little DIY on how to remove the Helmholtz resonator

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default If anyone is interested, a little DIY on how to remove the Helmholtz resonator

This write-up isfor the B6, I'm not sure if the other A4's are the same. The Helmholtz resonator doesn't really do anything with a FMIC, I decided to remove it. I took the camera and decided to do a little write up.
Here it is on the right side of the engine.

Here is a pic of the location of the resonator in relation to the DV and the FMIC pipe.

I started by loosening the hose clamps to the DV and the FMIC pipe, I then unscrewed the resonator from the engine (3 X 6mm hex screws).

Pic of the whole thing removed.

Pic of the area without the resonator and associated hoses.

Here you have a couple of options, you can keep the T and cap it, you can remove the T and use a connector for the two pieces of 1" tube. In my case I had a piece of silicone 1" tubing that was left over from my FMIC install, so I used that.

Pic of the finished product.

As you can see, it's a much cleaner setup and gives more space to work.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: If anyone is interested, a little DIY on how to remove the Helmholtz resonator

nice but i have no clue what that is. after all these years lol im still learning

Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: If anyone is interested, a little DIY on how to remove the Helmholtz resonator

It's just a little metal box that helps tone down intake noise. The European versions that have the DSMIC's don't have it, the American versions with the single SMIC have it. With a FMIC, the resonator becomes totally useless. Some people say that removing it increases boost response because no pressure is lost to the resonator. I can't honestly say that I noticed a difference but at least I am saving a few ounces in weight!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Zombie Defense Force

cool nice pics. ahh i need to get me some T bolt clamps

Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 AM

If you upgrade to big turbo the thing is in the way, too. You can't get your oil and coolant return lines around the thing. It is useless. Oh, and it's reffered to a lot as a boost reservoir, so if you hear that term, it's the same thing.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Zombie Defense Force

umm i dont think i had it on the b5 when i get home i will take a look at my sisters car and see if she has it

Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeff

cool nice pics. ahh i need to get me some T bolt clamps

I got them here.

http://hightempsilicone.com/category/stainlessctclamps/