Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IGNITION PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default IGNITION PROBLEM!

Hey,
My 97 a4 2.8 quattro is having some ignition problems im thinking. The engine spins but there is no spark. No spark in the plugs, coils packs, power transistor, anywhere. Also, the idiot lights on the gauges are dimmed. The battery reads 12volts, and all accessories work like radio, interrior lights, headlights, all that. Its just that when you turn the key...the engine just spins and spins with no start. Other times, the idiot lights come on bright like they should and when you start the car there is a loud buzzing from the steering column. Im guessing its a bad ignition switch. Can anyone relate or does anyone believe it is something different???

Thank you for you time,
James V.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Default RE: IGNITION PROBLEM!

12v is not enough to crank the engine it could be low cranking amps " battery too low ", when you say the engine just turns is it like there is no compression?? ( check timing belt ), is the immobiliser switching off??, is the inertia fuel cut off switch ( if fitted ) popped out?

Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

when i say the engine just spins...i mean that the starter is working properly and the battery has enough power to start the engine but there is no spark. i know the battery is fine, because it started the other day...sometimes ill turn the key and the car will start up fine...more often, the idiot lights are dimmed and the engine just cranks and cranks without kicking over. all my accessories don't even dim when i turn the key. if the battery has enough power to spin the starter then the car should start. Also, sometimes when i turn the key to start it, just a loud buzzing comes from under the steering column and the starter isnt engaged at all. so i'm thinking that the ignition switch has a short.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM

it could easily be a short effecting the immobiliser (if it has one), best thing is to investigate the wiring in the column to the ignition switch, faulty crank sensor also comes to mind