Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting one

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Default I'm getting one

OK here I go! This time tomorrow I'll bethe ownerof an 03 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant Tiptronic. I'll keep this as a log on my impressions, maintenance issues, how it handles the snow (I live at 7400 feet in Colorado) and all that good stuff. This one has about 103k miles and my first mission is to find out if and when the belt has been changed, the car broker that’s selling it to me does not know. How would you suggest I try to find out this info? Thanks! (By the way the other car in the family is an 02 Saab 9-5 2.3t. I like the European 4 banger turbos.)

Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I'm getting one

103k miles and its a 03, dam i would have tried for something a little less used, at 103k beklt should have deff been done car fax and it will tell you all of the service the car has or bring VIN to audi and ask them, they will have a good idea whether or not the car has been serviced and to what degree.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

car fax and it will tell you all of the service the car has
I've never in my life seen a Carfax report that has detailed service information. At most you will get "Car was serviced at 63,203 miles" and that in itself is SUPER RARE.

If the car was ever serviced at an authorized Audi dealer, you can go to any Audi dealer and they should be able to tell you which dealership it was worked on at. They may not be able to pull up what was done, but you can then go to the dealership they listed you and (with proof of ownership) you can get the service records.

I did this with my last BMW and was pleased to see it well serviced. Doesn't cost you anything but your time.

If for some reason you can't find any records on the car, just do it. Peace of mind.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Boostd4,

I totally agree with you about the Carfax reports, they are basically useless (in my experience)

But as far as the dealer records go--Before and after I purchased my car, I contacted the dealer that the vehicle was originally purchased at and asked them about the maint. history....they didn't want to tell me much, but after pestering them, they told me a bit of info...But the guy at the dealership told me that the records are confidential between the previous owner and them....WTF is that about??

Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
4th Gear

Plan on changing the t-belt if you dont know for sure.

It would not be very smart to just assume it was done.

In fact, It could be very bad to assume this.

When tensioners fail and belts slip, bad things happen, very bad things......