Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Audi A4 from US to Canada - questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Default Importing Audi A4 from US to Canada - questions

Hi there,

My first post here, I see this is a large community with some very useful information posted, I hope to exploit that before I can start contributing myself :-)

I'm planning to import from US a 2002/2003 A4 1.8T to Canada. Mainly because the price difference which can be as much as $10K on $25K upper range (give or take a few bucks).

I researched some facts about regulations, import process etc. and so far have found one fact to be missing (or hard to find) : According to Canada Revenue Agency there is no duty on used cars manufactured in USA, but if they were produced elsewhere, tough luck. I found Audi has manufacturing plants in Germany, Hungary and Brasil but not in USA, meaning I'm looking at some 7% more in taxes if I go ahead and import. Can someone advise if manufacturing is done outside USA?

Greatly appreciated is any experience coming from Canadians who recently imported Audis from USA, specifically buying from dealers or individuals, border processing, amount of taxes/fees paid, time to complete everything, any modifications performed to comply with regulations etc. - anything that could help form the big picture - if I can save $5K+ then it may be worth the trouble going south shopping.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-25-2006, 11:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Importing Audi A4 from US to Canada - questions

Audi is made in germany so you will have to pay a duty. I can't remember 100% but I'm pretty sure I had to pay that 7% when I imported my 97 1.8t to Canada.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 AM

How long ago was that?
Also what other costs did you have to cover, more details the better - I'm trying to figure out what the total damage is going to be if I shell out (for the sake of argument and calculation) $25K USD?

Cheers

Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

You will have to pay import duty and PST.

Revenue Canada should have the process and be able to provide you with the fees.