General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Importing (to Canada) an Audi S6 or RS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro
Default Importing (to Canada) an Audi S6 or RS6

Hi there, I'm new here and looking to supplement my Lotus with a more family oriented ride, so I've been looking at an S6 or RS6 Avant. (likely 2002). I found a few a like in the US (I'm in Canada) and was all set to buy one from either Arizona or Colorado when I decided to finally check import regs. This car is "INADMISSABLE" in Canada!! I know that we get them here from the Audi dealerships, but I am not allowed to import one from the states. It seems that the Seat Belt anchor tethers are in a different location and this (seemingly small) difference precludes my goal of importation. [:@] Did Audi really make two different versions of this car, with different Seat Belt tether locations for the US and Canada?? Well, it's either that or Audi wants to keep the limited number of S6/RS6 Avants we received in Canada to that extremely low number.

So, sad though I am, I thought I would check here to see if anyone might know of a loophole or who (probably Audi Canada?) I can contact to determine if this exclusion can be lifted or modified.

Any/all replies appreciated. In the interim, I guess I'm back to a Canada only search for such a vehicle.......

Old 07-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro
Default RE: Importing (to Canada) an Audi S6 or RS6

oh, by the way, here is the import regulation PDF, http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf see page 9 for the eligility status of the various Audi's to Canada.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

Well I just read through the PDF file and I don't see the "Why?" question being addressed re: the S6 or RS6.
If it is the seatbelt anchors, then you will not be allowed to modify the anchors, according to the RIV. They are very clear about this very specific feature: "Canadian legislation does not allow modifications to the seat belt anchorage system."

But I don't see any reference to these vehicles that the anchors are the reason for inadmission. I would investigate this further with the RIV. It can't hurt to call and ask what the restrriction is and whether it can be allowed to enter after modification.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro

You know, you're right, it doesn't say it's the seatbelt anchorage locations. I assumed that from Page one of the RIV document (item 6). It does seem odd that A6 wagons are allowed, just not the S6. Also, I note that A6 Sedans with the V8 are not allowed, so maybe it's an engine issue..... Do you know if the A6 Avant was available with the 4.2 V8 (but NOT called the S6)?? I will investigate this further with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles and post back if I find something out. You never know and if it means I can choose from a wider pool of available cars, well that's just a huge bonus for me. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro

Well, very odd. I spoke with RIV and they tell me that the S6 Avant is unequivocally NOT eligible for importation into Canada. This is, they say, because the vehicle has possibly a) not been crash tested to the satisfaction of Transport Canada, b) does not pass emissions testing for Canada or c) because VW Audi Canada does not wish to allow the importation of this vehicle to Canada from the US. Weird since I know that we get the S6 Avant here (or at least we did in 2003). So.....I called Audi N. America and they tell me that yes the S6 Avant (but NOT the RS6 Avant) IS eligible for importation to Canada as it is EXACTLY the same vehicle (daytime running lamps??). Anyway, they say that for a 2002 S6, all I need is the VIN number and they can then tell me if I can import it. Well, I guess I'll try that and see if I can then convince Transport Canada that I have Audi's blessing and see if that works.......... If it does, I'll let you know.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear

Aahhh... the wonderful world of bureaucracy!