Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent starting problem... Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default Intermittent starting problem... Ideas?

I believe I have narrowed the scenario down to this: If I start the car and run it less than 2 minutes I will have trouble starting it the next time, and that would also include no matter how long it sits before I start it the second time- one hour, one day, one week, makes no difference. Otherwise the car always starts fine. When it does not start it gives the impression it has no fuel, cranks and cranks and then eventually after a few minutes of trying it start to catch, like one cylinder starts firing and then another and then another until it's running on its own. Car runs and idles fine after that. Any ideas? Fuel pressure problems maybe? Some sensor possibly? This scenario doesn't happen very often (probably only three time in the past year and a half) but I would like to know if this is a symptom of a larger problem. Thanks.

-Tim

Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Default RE: Intermittent starting problem... Ideas?

is the CEL coming on at all?

you can take the car to autozone and have them pull any codes you might be throwing.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 PM
4th Gear

Hey,
I am having the same problem. Sort of...

Every so often (I have noticed that it really only happens after I disconnect the battery) That my car will idle really rough and then it will get to the point that when I try to start it it won't start until I push on the gas pedel while it's turning over. Then once that happens it runs fine until the battery gets disconnected again. Any ideas? Is it happening to you when you disconnect the battery? And what year and model Audi do you have? I have a 1999 A4 1.8T

Josh

Oh and the CEL is NOT coming on.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

I wish there was a class that would teach me what the heck the CEL is and where I would find it. All I ever get is the service reminder. Planning on buying a Vag-Com soon, I was just hoping someone would have some ideas though.And no, I'm not disconnecting the battery when this happens. It seems to most commonly occure when I start the car and then shut it off within a few minutes, then the next time it's hard starting. Thanks.