Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod connection help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default Ipod connection help.

Well im in need of an ipod connection i have a stock headunit in my 97 and dont feel like upgrading it but i found this today.
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdet...&productID=258
Its for a 98 a4 for some reason there wasnt anything for a 97 in there catalog. Do you guys think it may work?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Ipod connection help.

That looks like its the same price as the Dension IceLink. Does that one work with your headunit?

Old 04-30-2006, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

I don't have one but I've done some research on them. I think NEO had a little how to video that was real decent. If I would have done it I was going to go with them. The problem I ran into was they were going to have to use my satellite radio connector on the stereo and I didnt want to give up the sat radio. (find a lot on new music with it) Anyways, I've also heard Audi has an adaptor, but when I went by the dealership on Friday they couldnt find it in the system. I know its out there, the dealers/service here is sort of lame. Same problem with having to give up Sat radio, but a post on here said something about crimping the wires and being able to get both. Sounds a little shady to me, but probably possible. CNET also had some info on them, I think they also had an installation vid. Anyways, its definetly possible. Just consider how they let you interact. Supposedly the Audi one only did 5 play list and didn't let you interact with the IPOD, all controls through the car stereo, there are a couple out there that give you an option. Personnally if all I am going to get is five playlist I think I would like the option to interface with the IPOD itself. Anyway, I'm still interested in this subject if you find anything good pls post. I called down to the people at NEO a few months ago they were really nice.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Ok, it was www.cartv.com who had the installation vid if you haven't seen it.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tip5

Well im in need of an ipod connection i have a stock headunit in my 97 and dont feel like upgrading it but i found this today.
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdet...&productID=258
Its for a 98 a4 for some reason there wasnt anything for a 97 in there catalog. Do you guys think it may work?

that will not work on your car...unless you upgrade to a Concert radio

Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 PM
dan
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: qst4

I don't have one but I've done some research on them. I think NEO had a little how to video that was real decent. If I would have done it I was going to go with them. The problem I ran into was they were going to have to use my satellite radio connector on the stereo and I didnt want to give up the sat radio. (find a lot on new music with it) Anyways, I've also heard Audi has an adaptor, but when I went by the dealership on Friday they couldnt find it in the system. I know its out there, the dealers/service here is sort of lame. Same problem with having to give up Sat radio, but a post on here said something about crimping the wires and being able to get both. Sounds a little shady to me, but probably possible. CNET also had some info on them, I think they also had an installation vid. Anyways, its definetly possible. Just consider how they let you interact. Supposedly the Audi one only did 5 play list and didn't let you interact with the IPOD, all controls through the car stereo, there are a couple out there that give you an option. Personnally if all I am going to get is five playlist I think I would like the option to interface with the IPOD itself. Anyway, I'm still interested in this subject if you find anything good pls post. I called down to the people at NEO a few months ago they were really nice.
You don't need to give up up anything if you use the icelink. You do need to make a custom cable and run it from the HU back to the sat hookup in the trunk though, but it's easy as pie. There is no crimping or splicing of wires, you're basically making a piggyback cable to run the audio wires to passive harness in the trunk.

There is a writeup on AW about it. If you need the link lemme know.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2000. I didn't need to run any cables or anything. It was plug and play, 15 min job.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:13 PM
dan
2nd Gear

yeah, would have been plug and play for mine too, but I chose to ignore their "not compatible with factory sat units" hence the cable.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

It should work, but I would talk to or email a rep before committing the cash. Second if you have a changer in the trunk you will no longer be able to use it because the connection to the Neo will take its place.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

Well ill be using it in the front and i dont know if i will have the right connection that the actually icelink connects to. Im not real clear yet if it will work ill give them a call and see if theres an adaptor of some sort. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Ipod connection help.