Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a new 2010 A4 and I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Just bought a new 2010 A4 and I have a few questions

Hi All

happy to be a new Audi owner as ive looked into these for a while and all i hear is good stuff. so ill be around more often to find out more about the car and find good accessories.

Few questions i have:

The car is a used 2010 A4 with only 17K miles, i bought it from a private seller but went thru audi dealership because it was a lease return. They did all the maintenance and it still has warranty for another 9 months.

1) do you recommend i get additional warranty?
or are these cars reliable for a while. i actually declined cuz it was expensive but are there any 3rd party places that offer good deals for used cars?

2) I would like to get a spoiler for the trunk. where is a good site or place to get one? i have a custom blue color, does that cause any problems finding a spoiler?

3) ive only had this car for less than a day so still exploring, but ive noticed when the car is stopped and u start to put your foot on the gas very slowly, the engine makes a very small vibration, is this normal? i mean maybe im not explaining well it doesnt sound bad but i was just wondering

4) using the tip tronic gears...when i drive to work, there is a steep downhill ramp and i prefer to use the gears to avoid using my breaks so much...what is the recommended gear to be in?? i was in M4 and the engine gage thing (sorry forgot what its called ) was on number 3 or 4
is that ok or what do you recommend?

thats all i have for now, i'm sure ill have more

Thank you for your help

Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

1. You will hear some tell you they bought the warranty and 2 months later their engine blew and with out the warranty it would have been 8, 9, 12 thousand dollars to fix. Best money they ever spent. Others will tell you they bought a warranty and drove the car for years with no need repairs and it was the biggest waste of money. You need to decide if you want the piece of mind of the warranty and if that ends up being all it provides that you still will think it was money well spent.

2. Can't tell you a good place. I have checked around and there are some options out there. Might try ECS Tuning. I wouldn't mind getting one myself some day. If the color is factory it shouldn't be to hard to match.

3. I haven't noticed anything like that in my car. Wonder if the car is shifting into second gear (mine does that quickly) and that is why you feel the slight vibration. I think it does not tp help with fuel economy.

4. I don't do this. As long as you are not over revving the engine and keep the tachometer out the red it shouldn't hurt anything.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the Audi family.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
1. You will hear some tell you they bought the warranty and 2 months later their engine blew and with out the warranty it would have been 8, 9, 12 thousand dollars to fix. Best money they ever spent. Others will tell you they bought a warranty and drove the car for years with no need repairs and it was the biggest waste of money. You need to decide if you want the piece of mind of the warranty and if that ends up being all it provides that you still will think it was money well spent.

2. Can't tell you a good place. I have checked around and there are some options out there. Might try ECS Tuning. I wouldn't mind getting one myself some day. If the color is factory it shouldn't be to hard to match.

3. I haven't noticed anything like that in my car. Wonder if the car is shifting into second gear (mine does that quickly) and that is why you feel the slight vibration. I think it does not tp help with fuel economy.

4. I don't do this. As long as you are not over revving the engine and keep the tachometer out the red it shouldn't hurt anything.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the Audi family.

Thank you for the response. have you ever heard of any a4 or other audi owners complain about engines ?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

No complaints usually over engines, especially under 150,000 miles. You'll get used to the Audi engine noises, most of which are normal. If the noise is truly very load just go to the dealer and let them listen to it.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Walter. yes i thought so....im going to take it to the dealer as well.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Make sure you monitor your oil. For these you have to add a quart every 1000 miles. The owner's manual will tell you what kind of oil you need. Also, I recomend you carry an extra quart in your car because sometimes you might need it when the gas station doesn't carry what you're looking for.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. yes i've heard of that. i have yet to look in the manual for the type of oil...so when do you top it off? when the oil level is all the way at the bottom or half way empty?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

I go through a quart about every 2500 to 3000 miles. I just got into the habit of checking the oil when I fill up the tank (not every fill up just every couple of weeks). If the reading is in the lower half of the "safe" zone I add a half quart. If it is below that I add a full quart. I keep a couple quarts in my trunk just like patitafrita stated. If you get real low you will get a warning chime and light on your dash. Then you want to get some oil in it sooner than later. Best to get in the habit of checking the oil.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

I usually reset the mile marker, when it hits 700 I check the oil level and top it off. Good luck with your new car, it's such a smooth ride!