Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my GIAC!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Just got my GIAC!

ORIGINAL: A4speed

I know no one really cares but I finally got my car flashed with GIAC and I also put in an ITG air filter and I also got the EVO DV, Holy shiz this sucker is like a brand new freaking car! The sweet thing about it was I didn't tell my friend who drives a turbo'd 95 acura integra, and I saw him in town so I pulled over and we bs'ed for a little bit. Then when we leave, he takes off from the parking lot and I took off right behind him, caught up, and smoked him. He tried to keep up but it didn't work very well, haha. He was like what the hell did you do to your car! Great Story, HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Yeah, I love what the chip and filter do to my car too.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

I love how everyone jacks on the K&N - and probably has never even used one. I've had one in 2 cars for 3 years now and it is fine.
Only time a K&N hurts your car is if you are an idiot.
I've used K&N filters in my cars and motorcycles for years. Keep them cleaned and oiled/dried properly they make excellent reuseable filters.
No problems. The longest mileage I has was my bought new 1990 Mits/Plymouth Laser RS turbo FWD. That car ran strong even when I sold it 10 years later at around 140,000 miles. K&N use somewhere around the 2nd year?

They may not give the advertised/marketed HP/torque increases, but I use them for their reliability, construction, and long term use. Plus, depending on application they free up the breathing and allow for less pumping loss in an engine. That's mainly what an intake and/or filter do. THe engine can't take in more air than it's designed to take in, but you can at least let the engine take in that air easier and that free's up some power that can be used to move the car.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

What is the difference in pricing between ITG and K&N??

I see the K&N's for around $40-$45, but didn't find ITG filter pricing.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: evoic

Right. I understand there are no problems, what I'm interested in is performance. Any noticeable or verifiable increase in power or speed with the K&N?
No more than what any other air filter will do for you. It's all placebo I think. I use it cuz it's a great filter with a long change period and is reusable. You will not notice anything with this or any other type of filter in regards to the *** dyno... You may get - or feel like you are getting - quicker throttle response...

Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

ORIGINAL: evoic

Right. I understand there are no problems, what I'm interested in is performance. Any noticeable or verifiable increase in power or speed with the K&N?
No more than what any other air filter will do for you. It's all placebo I think. I use it cuz it's a great filter with a long change period and is reusable. You will not notice anything with this or any other type of filter in regards to the *** dyno... You may get - or feel like you are getting - quicker throttle response...
I'm wit 'cha!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 AM

had a k&n in my 5l mustang & it helped alot, had a hks dry filter on my integra gsr, & it was probably a little bit better, but went back to a k&n with my audi 2.8l 30v with mods, & had nothing but problems with my fuel injection system until the injectors were changed. once i had the new injectors, no problems since, & with my exhaust system it sounds incredible ( almost as good as the mustang, in most ways better ) just love to drive thru a tunnel or just with the windows down. do not over oil a k&n filter as that oil will travel down the intake system & screw up your maf or your injectors as what happened to me.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear

Every car I have had has got a K&N filter none have given me any ****.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 AM
5th Gear

yea whats the deal with people hating on K&N they make great filters that get the job done...... and if it does hurt your car its becsaue you fucked up and didnt oil it right so its not the filters fault

Old 06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

yea whats the deal with people hating on K&N they make great filters that get the job done...... and if it does hurt your car its becsaue you fucked up and didnt oil it right so its not the filters fault
It could be all the modders diggin the new products. One thing about the K&N oil/gauze style filter is that you have to oil it and make sure it's DRY
before you install it, cause it can mess up the MAF. But, as you say that's operator error.