Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys and Keyless Entry Remote

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Keys and Keyless Entry Remote

I need an extra key and a keyless entry remote for my car, but i didnt want to buy them from the dealer because they charge so much for the key/remote and they also said they would charge me for activating! I was wondering if it is safe to buy the key/remote off ebay and one of those manuals they have to configure them to my car?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Keys and Keyless Entry Remote

Yes, you can. Just make sure it is a current model - the correct remote for your car.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:04 AM

How do you check to the FCC ID numbers on your old remote... if you open the remote will it clear the programming...I only have one remote but would like to order another and want to make sure it's the right one....

Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

if you have a 97 or newer car i belive any switchblade will do. if it is older than 97 you have to get a diferent kind on remote. not to sure if the new b6 have diferent remotes.

to program a remote you have to have two keys. if you do get a swichblade remote the only place that will cut the key for your car is the dealer and it will run you $45

directions for programing the remote can be found on audiworld.com

Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: hb972.8q

directions for programing the remote can be found on audiworld.com
Or here... search the archives.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM

Bringing this back as I have some questions. I have the instructions below:

Tech Article Title Author Date
Reprogramming Audi Switchblade Keys Craig Liess 2000
The previous FAQ entry on this item had some mistakes (and it confused the hell out of me) so I decided to make it a bit more user-friendly and add a few tips and pointers.

I'd imagine these directions will work on any A4/S4 with the "switchblade" keys. If you own a TT, A6, or A8 with these keys, try and see if the directions below work, and e-mail me your results.

These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this.

You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.
If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.
Now if I wanted to buy an eBay switchblade I have to make sure the FCC ID matches and would I be able to program this new key being that I only have 1 working key right now?

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
6th Gear

You have to make sure the FCC ID matches. You can find that inside your current key by seperating they key from the guts portion. Just requires a small screw driver. Then you can use your current key in the ignition and program your new ebay one.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks JEst. I was reading through all the 100's of other Key posts, but I couldn't find anything that said you could program a second key if you only had one working. Maybe I was just being dense.

Thanks Again.