Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default Lifter noise

Just thought I'd pass this on...

I use to have horrible lifter noise, even after an oil change. After running about 2000 miles with a can of Justice Bros additive my lifter noise has completely disappeared. ECSTuning uses this stuff in all their project cars as well...

just thought Id mention it for anyone experiencing lifter noise.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Lifter noise

Oil additive? What kind of properties are formulated within the product?

Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Site Moderator

a mild detergent.

I was always sworn against oil additives. But the lifter noise got so bad that I was embarassed to drive. So I did some research and decided on this one. Its not overly corrosive like some, and they say it takes about 1000 miles before full effect of it is seen.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:09 PM

where do they sell that stuff my lifter noise is bothering me also i though about getting a valve adjustment but i don't want to know what that costs

Old 07-28-2004, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

I had a bit of lifter noise until I replaced the oil pump assembly. It would go away for a short period right after an oil change, but would always come back. Before I replaced the oil pump assembly I ran a quart of auto tranny fluid for 350 miles, changed the oil and then did the same thing over again then replaced the oil pump. It's been about 6000 miles since the oil pump replacement and no lifter noise.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

wuts lifter noise. lol god all these terms i have yet to learn

Old 07-29-2004, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear

When your engine is idling, it sounds like a tick, tick, tick. Often times after the engine runs for awhile the noise will decrease or go away all together. Cleaning out the oil system can often times help the problem. I cleaned mine by running a quart of auto tranny fluid in my oil for a couple hundred miles, then changing oil and adding another single quart of tranny fluid for another couple hundred miles. Tranny fluid has quite a bit of detergent in it, so it cleans a lot of gunk out. HTH

Old 07-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Site Moderator

you can get Justice Bros at ECStuning.com...
Only place I know of that sells it

Each lifter has a small hole in it where oil is supposed to travel. After a while that hole can plug up and oil does not get into the lifter and so you get the ticking (metal on metal) noise.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:20 AM
4th Gear

I am bringing up a SUPER OLD POST (3 years almost!!!)

I just heard some ticking/clicking noise in my car. Could it be that (lifter noise) or could it mean my timing belt is getting ready to break?

Josh

Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Site Moderator

You said earlier you run 10w30. Try switching to the correct oil grade and see what happens (5w40).

Quick Reply: Lifter noise