Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightened Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Default Lightened Crank Pulley

I have heard different things about these and I wanted to know what everyone else thought about them. I personally don't think they make that much of a difference but I was just talking to someone who installed one and told me the difference is like night and day.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lightened Crank Pulley

I was gunna get one with my timing belt but I heard they cause issues with idle and vibrations.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

i put the ecode lightweight pulley on and picked up some vibration. BUT - there is a difference between underdrive pulleys and lightweight pulleys - lightweight pulleys are the same diameter as OEM (and take the same belt.) underdrive pulleys need a slightly longer belt and charge your accessories at a higher rpm, robbing less hp. underdrive pulleys make a difference. lightweight pulleys save weight, and in theory should make a difference . ..

the stock pulleywas designed specifically to actas a vibration dampener.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM

So would anyone advise switching from stock to an aftermarket lightened crank pulley?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

i picked up some throttle response with the ecode crank pulley, but the vibration is noticable. if you dont mind losing that smooth feeling, i recommend it.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear

oh1a4where did you get your underdrive pully wouldnt mind reading about it..

also would the lightweight pully cause vibration as well?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

here is the one i bought:
http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...tail&p=665

i put it on in november when i did timing belt and snub mount. this pulley causes noticable vibrations, but also what i perceive to be improved throttle response. i have never seenthe dyno plotof a lightweight pulley, but someone out there makes underdrive pulleys that have shown to improve hp on a dyno.

This lightweight crank pulley is so much lighter than stock, andi could totally see why i picked up vibration. I really wanted to swap to underdrive pulleys too but i lost my nerve, maybe this summer.

*official disclaimer: I will not claim that it creates crazy mad power yo but i do feel as though my throttle response improved.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

for the extra 2-8hp i dont want to fuckk with vibrations..

Old 02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

i threw on the ecs lightweight pulley when i did my tb. can't say i've noticed any vibrations at all. i agree with the improved throttle response. i think you just have to make sure you get in on there perfect. mine was a b*tch to get on...but no vibrations

Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

i dont blame anyone for not wanting to mess with that.

for now, i like the feel of itand feel as though there is better 'communication' coming from the front end, but if i ever sold my a4, i think i would have to put the stock one back on.

also, thinking back, the stock 1.8t crank pulley bolts wouldnt fit the ecode pulley. luckily my buddy had 2.8 pulley bolts laying around and they worked (the ones without the washer.)

edit: i did my snub at the same time and it was suggested to me that perhaps i am picking up a littlevibration from not doing the snub properly: i re-did the snub twice and there is absolutelyno contact in the basket.

i dont want to scare anyone off, its not like what you might picture, its just a slight hum in your fingers - like i said, i like the extra layer of 'communication.'

Quick Reply: Lightened Crank Pulley