Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likely transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Likely transmission?

Hey guys..
Time n time.. over n over.. I have got help from this forum and I can't thank enough.. Yet shamelessly and smiling, I come back to this forum for more answers to save money and keep my baby going

I have a querry.. as usual...
When I am driving slow and come to a slight up-slope and get real slow ~10mph, then when i press gas pedal, my car gives a big thud and scares the **** out of me. Now, I have been driving such places regularly and it has happened only 2 times in last 2-3 months. So, I am just thinking if its a start of a new problem? likely transmission.?
My car A4 -1997-1.8T FWD has done 86k miles now. I service it myself regularly. Had timing belt changed at 70k and transmission fluid at 70k as well. otherwise i change oil-filter every 5k.(last at 85k)
It has been real good and I love it.
Please drop in your thoughts as to what could be the problem and what could be done.

Thanks

Bix

Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Likely transmission?

sounds like its the driveshaft.
your transmission wouldnt thud at that low of a speed, i wouldnt of thought. your going up hill at only 10 mph so you would already be in 1st gear so the gearbox wouldnt thud/clunk down shifting since it cant.
and becuase your only at 10mph its not going to clunk/thud going into 2nd gear, becuase it wont upshift at that low of a speed.
unless ofcause you have a manual??

check the driveshaft oil level. the check level is on the passenger side next to the driveshaft, you a pretty large alen key, then put your little finger in the hole, if you feel the oil its fine and back to the drawing board, if you dont feel anything then find the correct oil and add some more.
i used to have a simalar problem since i have a leak from there, i just keep it topped up untill i get it fixed.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

thanx man..
I ll check it today.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Another thing.. this drive train shaft oil!! Do you mean the transmission oil ?(I have automatic trans)
If thats what you mean, then my Audi doesnt give me any indication of low trans oil. I can only change it or fill it but I would never know how less it was!
If it is something else you are talking about please could you elaborate on this a bit more?
Sorry for my little knowledge about this.
Thanx again

Bix

Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

no probs.
not the transmission oil.
if you have a service manual handy it'll be listed in there as "transaxel fluid check and fillplug".
im on about the drvieshaft oil, transaxke oil, cv axle, theres alot of names out there for them.
the check plug is right next to your passengerdriveshaft/transaxle, engine side, not wheel side. you should be able to see a alen key bolt there, thats your check plug, take the bolt out and try to get your little fingure in there. if you can feel oil then its all good, if you cant feel any oil then its too low, autozone can tell you what oil you would need to top it up. when you top it up, just fill it untill it leaks out, then just leave it for 30 or so minutes to let any overflow drip out, tighten it all back up and you should feel a difference straight away when you drive.
i cant find much on this on the internet like pictures or anything. do you have a service manual?? you can buy one at autozone, pep boys ectfor around $20, one of the best things ive bought for my audi, its very handy and usefull to have around!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM

I guess its a manual FWD?? if so it could be the driveshafts so check for excess movement my Audi 100 did that and the splines were ripped out on the inner CV joints

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot lot guys.
Its a FWD automatic 1.8T.
I finally got a Bentley manual. And I found the filler plug too.
I ll sort it out this weekend and be back to you guys.. Hopefully my CV joints would be fine and only oil is required.

Bix

Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear

it sounds like its just low oil.
that book WILL defently be a life saver for you, im glad i got one. my audi hasnt gone to audi for the past 5 years lol i do all the work my self.
you'll learn alot more about your car now aswell becuase you have that book.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Thanx A4tuner and Avant80...
Sorry for getting back late. But was really busy last few days....
Serviced my car this sunday---changed the all 4 brake pads n front rotors... and the brake fluid......
Also, checked the drive shaft fluid.. was low!!! Went running to get the right fluid and it took bout 1/4th of a quart.. Hopefully, no more kicking by my car.
Your advice was lifesaving (since my life is in my car..pretty much -- though can't tell this to my wife)

Have fun..

Bix

Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM
5th Gear

Check your transmission mounts... going up a hill, did the car downshift causing the clunk?
Engine mounts and especially transmission mounts can lead to horrible clunking noises.