Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at an a4

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Default RE: looking at an a4

ORIGINAL: domino877

What do you guys think of this one is it worth the money?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...QQcmdZViewItem
Oil light on?????? yikes
No big deal? I think not. In my A4's factory manual it says pull over immediatly stop the engine and get towed to nearest mechanic when light comes on. If this moron never bothered to check it out god knows what else is wrong. Probably one of those people who when a knock,creak or somethin develops, turns the radio louder. If u research in depth on Epinions and i think carsurvey.com or org every time someone complains their engine just blew up the oil light came on the day,week, or month b4 and i mean every time,usually they didn't see the value of sythetic. STAY AWAY

Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: daveedsfast

hey domino - let me quess that the a4 with 50k miles you looked at was black with cloth seats, and you met the guy in southfield and that he did not speak good english. Assuming I am right, that car also has a salvage title, that is why his price is so low. I just picked up a 99.5 2.8 quattro manual with all the options 91k miles for 7,000. spotless carfax, car is perfect in every facet.
Yea thats the guy his name was like alex or something, when I went to go look at the car he told me the car had no accidents it even said on the description on autotrader no accidents, but when I went to go take a look at it it was obvious the car had been in a major accident did you get a chance to look underneath the car? The bars where bent, the back bumper didnt line up, front bumper had damage underneath, and the passenger door jam was like1 inch apart from the fender, When I pointed all these things out to him he later changed the description on autotrader to salvage and rebuilt status. The engine made a loud knocking sound and the fan stays on when you shut the car off. I have a feeling that the guy rolled his miles back on the car no way an audi engine can sound the way it sounded at 50,000miles. Also if you pull the dipstick out the oil appears to be a dark grey color. That car is not even worth $6500 I wouldnt give him even $2000 for it.

P.S : Did you get a chance to look at the A4's at the International auto center a used car dealer in detroit, the guy has two 99 A4's listed on autotrader for a nice price?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: spawnarc

well somebody already bought it but i will still look for an A4 I am just looking for it to have AWD and something nice to drive not really looking to mod it or anything.

get a 2.8

Old 11-23-2007, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ocadam

well somebody already bought it but i will still look for an A4 I am just looking for it to have AWD and something nice to drive not really looking to mod it or anything.

get a 2.8
Those are actually easier to find.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 PM

well i am just looking on the local craigslist in milwaukee and madison so whatever pops up I take a look at. I found 96 for 2500 BUT it has oil feed line leak, radio/air do not work, small front corner panel dent, and needs brakes (front/back rotors and pads). to me that sounds like alot to do to repair I mean brakes okay can understand but air/radio doesnt work, and a oil feed line leak, that seems to much to have to fix. If i spot a 2.8 I will take a look at it.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: ocadam

get a 2.8
+10 - If you don't want to mod, get the V6.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bob12312357

ORIGINAL: domino877

What do you guys think of this one is it worth the money?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...QQcmdZViewItem
Oil light on?????? yikes
No big deal? I think not. In my A4's factory manual it says pull over immediatly stop the engine and get towed to nearest mechanic when light comes on. If this moron never bothered to check it out god knows what else is wrong. Probably one of those people who when a knock,creak or somethin develops, turns the radio louder. If u research in depth on Epinions and i think carsurvey.com or org every time someone complains their engine just blew up the oil light came on the day,week, or month b4 and i mean every time,usually they didn't see the value of sythetic. STAY AWAY
sigh...another perfect example why not to buy a 1.8t. You should google msnauto and read the consumer reports on vw and audi's with that engine.

btw, if youre not gunna mod, 30v is the way to go for sure.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM

I dont know what it is about the B5 1.8T's but I went out to go look at a couple at a used car dealer and when the salesmenstarted them up they made a loud clicking noise it sounded like the valves where damaged, the guy tells me that all audi engines make noise when its cold out because of how there designed, but my dad who is a mechanic insists that there may be valve damage or lifter damage especially on one of them. One of the 1.8T's had an oil light on and the other a check engine light, both of them had around 90,000 miles. The guy also had a black 99' 2.8 the only thing that was wrong with the car is the side skirts were coming off at the ends. He started up the 2.8 and it sounds a lot quieter then the 1.8T but this engine made a less loudsmaller clicking noise on one side of the enginethat went awaybut not completly sounded like a stuck lifter of something. I was considering purchasing the 2.8 but then I see that the check engine light was on and I decide to just tell the guy I would think about it, the 2.8 also had around 90,000 miles and all three of these cars were fully loaded except one of the 1.8T had cloth seats, All are the same price couple hundred difference between each. I don't know what I should do im kinda of in a rush to buy a car and really want a B5 1.8T thats reliable but I would buy a 2.8 if I cant find a good 1.8T.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Dude u cant go wrong paying 3 grand for anything,if I found an A4 for 3g's I would immediately rally car that beast!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: rhyab1

Dude u cant go wrong paying 3 grand for anything,if I found an A4 for 3g's I would immediately rally car that beast!
I just took a nice s hit. I will take 3,000 for it( I will even throw in shipping) I do accept paypal