Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a A4, need lots of impute and answers please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking to buy a A4, need lots of impute and answers please!!!

okay so im getting ready to sell my 2006 subaru STI. and ive really been looking at a 01 audi, i love the looks of them. and ive been searching around trying to find a lot of info on them. i like the fact they come turboed and awd like my sti. but looking at performance they only have around 170 hp... the sti being 300 stock.... i want this car for mostly drag racing. some auto cross. and a litlte bit of show. but im more concerned with 1/4 mile performance and handeling. unfortunatley im use to running low 12's in the 1/4 and i heard someone say a 01 audi 1.8T only runs 17's in the 1/4..... which is sad i dont think there is a single honda in my town that i can beat.... even my friends nissan altima can spank a 17.... ive gotta have a 15 second car.... so i guess my main questions that i would really like answered are...

for a 01 1.8T audi a4 awd, what would it take and how much would it cost to get it into the mid to low 15's.

how well do you guys like your cars? are they worth the money am i going to get a lot of problems with this car?
im selling my subaru because i deff bought a lemon i cant afford to keep fixing this pos, i need a reliable car.

what chips are you guys using in your a4's what do they run in price... how much hp do they produce... performance gains?

what is everyone really running in a 01 awd 1.8t a4 in the 1/4.... the 1/8th?

cobb ap makes tuning software that i have for my lap top so i can tune my car while im at the track.... anything like that for the a4?

this is the one im looking at right now.... anyone have any thoughts on it?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=en&cardist=70

thanks for all your help in advance, really hope i get some good answers. i would love to get into an audi if its not going to be a waste of moeny. and i am in a BIG hurry. my STI is selling monday so i really need to find a car soon. thanks!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Looking to buy a A4, need lots of impute and answers please!!!

If the previous owner took care of the maintanance it should be good.

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/dealer/locator.php

http://www.giacusa.com/dealers.php?sregion=

Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator

Get a 99.5 or earlier if you dont want to deal with dbw. They are better for tuning. The 99.5 has the 2000 and 2001 looks/cosmetics but is ndbw. Best of both worlds. Of course it would only be 150hp stock, but if you are doing BT work it wont matter.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Dude dont get an a4 , If you are going from an sti then get an S4 - twin turbo. Those cars are beasts. Chip that **** and do some mods like front mount and whatever. You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

I agree with zat, but why the hell are you getting rid of the sti. Don't get me wrong I love my audi, but for what you're doing I don't see how you can get any better. Plus from my research on the subies there was soooo much stuff for them. Ok, so I've been dreaming of getting one as a project car, but really though, why give it up. But I would def. do the BT 2002 Audi S4 if you can get one that would probably be the easiet way to get to where you are trying to go.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 AM
4th Gear

I don't know why you would wanna sell the STI. Yes compared to the audi its ugly, but its ridiculously faster than an A4. Next to the evo you have the perfect drag car with a universe of tuning parts available, why downgrade? If you really wanna get an Audi then get a 00-01 S4 which is 250hp stock then drop some big turbos, suspension, etc and you'll have a drag/track beast.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

to answer your questions about downgrading....

my sti is a POS!!! i bought a lemon, ive had it 3 months its been in the shop over 10 times. its not even running right right now... because of the way i drove it and stuff ive done to it ive voided my warranty, i cant afford to keep fixing this pos. i fouled my plugs.... just to replace my plugs is going to cost me 90 bucks for 4 spark plugs!!!!! thats not buying them from the dealer either thats from a parts house and putting them in my self. the plugs are 23 bucks a piece! another reason im selling it, its a 30 thousand dollar car.... im tired of 600 bucks a month car payments. and there isnt hardley ANY thing for apperance for this car. not even rims. the front brake calipers are sooo big there is only like 1 rim that has enough offset to fit. theres a couple ugly body kits you have to import from japan and pay 4 grand for, but they are ugly. and insurence on this car is over 400 bucks a month!!!! this car is just way to exspensive as much as i love it, i dont want it. if it didnt break so much i prob woudlnt care but im not paying an arm and a leg for a car that breaks every week..

so i know no matter what car i get im going to downgrade but thats fine. i dont think i really need to be pulling 160 on the freeway ive got to many tickets as it is lol.l

so to answer the other questions...

i want the a4 because its cheaper than a s4. im not looking to spend a ton of money again. i want to start saving some money....

i cant get a 99.5 or earlyer. to finance it thru my bank it has to be a 01 or newer and 70k miles or less.

so thank you crazyhawk for those tuning places. i found locations i know right where they are in portland. ill deff be hitting them up for sure if i get it.

still want to know how much it would take to get a a4 into the mid 15's or lower
what it runs in the 1/4 and 1/8th stock.
what chips you guys are using how much do they run...

i found the one apr for 500 bucks, says it brings it to 208 hp. is that a decent one? or is there better?
it doesnt look like apr has a program i can load onto my lap top and tune my car with while im at the track.
is there any that do that?

im really going to miss being able to make changes every run lol. i love getting into my car and tweaking everything.

right now thou im Mostly concerned with reliability. i really dont want to buy another car thats going to break down on me all the time....

Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

I came from DSMs/the 4g63 platform... if you're coming from a STi then an A4 will be ungodly slow in comparison. IMO I'd go with an S4 or a Mitsu EVO8.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: iowaboostin

I came from DSMs/the 4g63 platform... if you're coming from a STi then an A4 will be ungodly slow in comparison. IMO I'd go with an S4 or a Mitsu EVO8.
i think u missed the part about i want a cheaper car. not another 30k+ car. i hate evos' and the s4 is to exspensive.

i know its going to be slow. ANY car is going to be slow compared to the sti except maybe 2, the evo being one of them. i spoiled my self buying a sti. now id have to spend like 60k to get a factory car thats going to be even better than a sti. point is i want something from the bottom i can build up. like the a4. its cheap, its nice, it just needs work.