Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Default loud exhaust

my exhaust just got really loud. and since i dont own a civic with a disgusting body kit, its not really my style. i got under it and figured out that its the drivers side flex pipe that has a hole in it. when i was at my local advanced auto, i noticed that they have an exhaust hole repair kit. basically a cast that you put around the pipe, or whatever has the hole. now i really dont have the money to buy a whole new exhaust system right now, so my question is has anyone used one or have experience with these repair kits? to me its worth the $10 to make my car not sound like crap. any opinions??

Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: loud exhaust

Those cast exhaust repair kits are more of a temporary fix than a long term fix. Ive used them lots of times before on other cars and they usually get crusty real quick and deteriorates after a few weeks. If it looks like it can be welded with a metal plate over the hole or something that would be the next cheapest route to take. if its a straight pipe with the hole in it, i have had long term success with cutting a pop can in half, wrapping it around the pipe with the hole, and using a clamp on each end to secure it. Thats a major ghetto rigg, but i have had long term success with that which is pretty much a free fix.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM

yeah, if its just gonna be a week long fix its not worth it to me. im looking for something a little more permanent. the thing is its somewhere in the flexpipe, so i dont know where the exact hole is. im hoping i can maybe take it somewhere and get that section cut out and a new flex pipe welded in there. i really cant shell out the money for the whole thing right now. oh and i got a ticket doing a little shortcut going the wrong way on a oneway last night. stupid baltimore cops could be stopping murders/drug dealers.. oh well.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
5th Gear

lol rusty cuz you live on the east coast, over here nother ever rusts.... EVER
ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Those cast exhaust repair kits are more of a temporary fix than a long term fix. Ive used them lots of times before on other cars and they usually get crusty real quick and deteriorates after a few weeks. If it looks like it can be welded with a metal plate over the hole or something that would be the next cheapest route to take. if its a straight pipe with the hole in it, i have had long term success with cutting a pop can in half, wrapping it around the pipe with the hole, and using a clamp on each end to secure it. Thats a major ghetto rigg, but i have had long term success with that which is pretty much a free fix.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

I believe this is what you are talking about

if that really has a hole in it, then you either need to go get a new downpipe
or ask your local muffler shop if they could just weld this section on if you bought it new

Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 PM

yeah im pretty sure the flex pipe is after the downpipe connection so replacing the downpipe wouldnt do too much. i got a quote for $200 to cut out the old flexpipe and weld a new one on there. not too bad so i think ill do that..

Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Site Moderator

Dude im tellin ya... cut this on one side and wrap it around the pipe and clamp that sumbitch!!!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM

yeah or maybe instead of that temp. fix, i could cut the tops and bottoms off of 40 cans and make an entire exhaust system!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: klum00

yeah im pretty sure the flex pipe is after the downpipe connection so replacing the downpipe wouldnt do too much. i got a quote for $200 to cut out the old flexpipe and weld a new one on there. not too bad so i think ill do that..

that sounds pretty steep to me. I would get a second quote.

also ask them what they're gonna charge you for the part. I've found them pretty cheep.

I'm fairly sure its the 2" one towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...tegory=Exhaust

Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Site Moderator

I consider the pop can more of a long term fix. I know it sounds bad and isnt giving your audi the utmost respect by doing it, but it would get the job done and at pretty much no cost to you.

Quick Reply: loud exhaust