Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low-pitched vibration when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Low-pitched vibration when accelerating

Hi everyone,
I've tried searching for this but haven't had any luck.

I just bought a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, so far everything has been great, just minor annoyances that are expected on a used car I guess.

Fairly frequently when I go from coasting or braking to accelerating, usually while the car is in lower RPMS (1000-2500) the car sometimes makes this low pitched vibrating noise. It's an automatic, and it almost sounds like a manual sounds when it's bogging out (but not as loud), except the situation is almost never that, even if I'm coasting on a flat road and start accelerating it makes this noise. It usually only lasts a couple of seconds then goes away. It's noticeably lower in pitch than the regular engine noise too.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Default RE: Low-pitched vibration when accelerating

Is it comin from one specific side or just "the engine". And when your idling do you hear it. I've had some funky sounds comin from my 04' 1.8T when I start it for about a minute or two just idling and then in lower RPM's. I just can't seem to muster up enough energy to care bein that I'll be selling it soon. I think you might have the same problem as me. Try to get a friend to rev the engine lightly while your standing with the hood open to see if you can get a better sense of where the noise is coming from. How many miles on it?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

When in the drivers seat it sounds/feels like it's coming from just the "engine" not any particular side. The car has almost 72000 miles on it, and I never hear it when idling. It's also not limited to when the car is cold, I hear it after the car is complete warmed up, and it doesn't go away, it does it all the time (as in it doesn't stop doing it after a few minutes of driving). Most often it's heard when accelerating from a stop, but it also happens frequently when going from coasting to accelerating as well. My best guesses (and things I want to check) are motor mounts and maybe the turbo (I don't know how to check that one....). Any other ideas?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM
4th Gear

Our engines are not the smoothest and sometimes cause body
parts to resonate around 1500 rpm.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:14 PM

I only asked about the side to question a wheel bearing, but could be another part of the suspension im not familiar with. Have you had your timing belt replaced yet, I want to guess tensioner b/c by the time the engine is above the upper limit you hear it the engine might just be droning it out. Turbo you'd probably not hear at lower RPM's as it probably wouldn't be spooling up until higher RPM's. Not sure if someone here would be able to pinpoint your problem, but a mechanic familiar with Audi's would probably be the best bet, unless your under a warranty for the car, but that would be the only reason to go to the stealership.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

I own a 2003 A4 1.8T and have noticed that issue from time to time as well. Is this just by design?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: FezA4

I only asked about the side to question a wheel bearing, but could be another part of the suspension im not familiar with. Have you had your timing belt replaced yet, I want to guess tensioner b/c by the time the engine is above the upper limit you hear it the engine might just be droning it out. Turbo you'd probably not hear at lower RPM's as it probably wouldn't be spooling up until higher RPM's. Not sure if someone here would be able to pinpoint your problem, but a mechanic familiar with Audi's would probably be the best bet, unless your under a warranty for the car, but that would be the only reason to go to the stealership.
I have an Extended Warantee that covers almost everything except normal wear and tear (like brake pads, etc), but I don't know if it would cover just taking it in somewhere to get it checked out, any one have any experience with these things?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Quick update, mades some more mental notes about the problem on the drive to work today.
This problem definitely only happens between 1k and 2k RPMs, which with my auto only happens when accelerating slowly. As the RPMs climb towards 2k, I can definitely feel some hesitation. The RPM gauge will climb about 300rpms and then fall 150rpms then climb back up. it's when the RPM needle drops that I hear the low-pitched vibrating noise. Any suggestions as to what it could be or what I should do next?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

bump, any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever get that sorted out? Sorry I know it’s a very old post. Same issue was reading it could be torque converter possibly ?