Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical issue,advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Mechanical issue,advice please?

2007 Audi a4 Quattro,Ti 6Spd 3.2L.
Bought the car few months ago,and everything has been great since besides replacing the snub mount.My problem now is when starting from a Stop say 5mph-20mph im getting a fairly noticable "wobble".As in left to right/ side to side,if i look in my side mirrors i can literally see the cabin rocking back and forth but once i break around 20 mph it fades out and the car seems to cruise very smooth and solid up until around 60mph then i get a pulsating vibration that comes back.Also my steering wheel slightly off center to the left,and the car likes to pull slighty to the right when i dont compensate.I feel this wobble may be slightly bent axle which is creating the wobble,and vibration.Maybe a out of round tire or bent rim but in a general inspection i dont see anything out of ordinary.Anyone experienced this?or have some input please.thanks in advance

Old 11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

I would check the tires and wheels first. Trying swapping the driver's front to the driver's rear and test drive. If you feel the wobble move from the steering wheel to your butt then it was that wheel. If nothing changes move the passenger side and see what happens. If no change it could be something in the suspension that is worn (control arm bushings for example). Unless the previous owner hit something I wouldn't think a bent axle is your issue.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default thanks for your advice

Maybe im not understanding fully or i didnt explain it correctly.This side to side "wobble" im feeling which seems to be most noticable from 0-25mph is literally my whole cabin/vehicle wobbling.although my steering wheel is slightly off center to the left there is no wobble in the wheel.now when i get up to 65 or so theres a fairly aggresive shake in my steering wheel as well as whole cabin..idk if the 2 problems are related.still feel i should start with tires?thanks again

Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I would still start with the wheels and tires. I had a out of round tire that caused a wobble (felt it in the steering wheel) that was no where near as bad as what you describe. When I would get going it would disappear (around 30 if I remember right). Start with the wheels and see if any of them are causing the issue. I missed the part about the steering wheel being off. That sure makes it sound like they hit something. If that is the case there could be major damage under the car. Your best bet might be taking it to a shop and spending $50 to $100 to have it diagnosed as it sounds pretty severe.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default thanks for your advice

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Yeah, I would still start with the wheels and tires. I had a out of round tire that caused a wobble (felt it in the steering wheel) that was no where near as bad as what you describe. When I would get going it would disappear (around 30 if I remember right). Start with the wheels and see if any of them are causing the issue. I missed the part about the steering wheel being off. That sure makes it sound like they hit something. If that is the case there could be major damage under the car. Your best bet might be taking it to a shop and spending $50 to $100 to have it diagnosed as it sounds pretty severe.
Ya thanks again im going to start with wheels and check rims maybe a bent one or smthing cud be causing it and yea the slightly off center steering wheel making me wonder about past owner incident but initial inspection doesnt seem front bumper,quarter pannels,or even the splash guard underneath has any damage or signs of being damaged OR replaced checked the bolts and stuff for signs of removal not saying thats a deffinent cuz obviously theres no telling until stuff is really disasembled and examined.luckily for me i work at GM we have state of the art mechanic facility and i get great employee discounted labor an parts so imma have them dig in and start searching.