Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my conclusion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
1st Gear
Default my conclusion...

So this is what its going to come down to.....

this should work right???

recently my ignition switch burnt up again.... a single wire that comes to the back of the ignition switch started arching and burnt up the connecter... as well as some of the plastic plug that holds all the wires in there place.(see pic)

soo, i cant find a replacement black wire harness piece.
so i am going to take all the wires out of the black plug and connect them to the ignition switch with out that harness... i would conect it with a wire connector with a plastic cover....

if this is done correctly and everything is secure... there should be no difference...

any thoughts or opinions.....

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: my conclusion...

Yeah, that should work. Obviously you have to be careful to get everything connected where it's intended but you shouldn't have any future problems with your connection. The only think I would say is that you are going to make it a little more perminant by soldering the wires directly to the switch. In this case you're going to want your switch to last as long as possible. If you have any extra keys on your chain weight can cause the tumblers in some switches to wear.

I don't know how much experience you have soldering or what the ignition switch is built like but be careful not to heat anything up too much.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: my conclusion...

yeah making sure that those wires go to the right place on the ignition switch IS probably the most important thing... not going to be that hard though, there are only 8 wires to deal with.

if i cant find a correct clip that that will lock up with the back plugs of the ignition switch, i am for sure going to solder the wires down..

that is a very good point about having an excessive key chain! although i dont have any on my audi flip key... the place that allows you to connect a ring on the key is janky, doesnt even connect all the way. making the ring fall off...

thanks for you input man... as for soldering i would just be tacking the wire to the connecter.. which i would think would be just fine, not causing much heat.

anyone else?