Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP TO CONVINCE MY DAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: NEED HELP TP CONVINCE MY DAD

If you're buying used then see if they have the maintenance records on hand. Thats what helped me seak one out. I put a deposit down on an '02 B6 1.8TQMthis past saturday. It looked and drove brand new but I wanted to be sure. I got a full maintence check and it was all up to par so the car should be good (knock on wood).

Also, keep up with the forums. I did and I can't believe how much all these guys have helped me out. Thanks, by the way.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

Every car has their share of problems. It's a toss up. Audi's can be reliable, as long as it has been taken care of.

I'm buying one too, but thankfully, my mom is doing the convincing to my dad. Get the 1.8t and have fun modding.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: xav6ier

for a first mod get a intake and exhaust they r cheap and give good power gains
intake wont really do much if anything, first mod should definitely be an upgraded chip, over both of those. Audi's are good cars, the only major money comes from taking them to the dealership/shops to fix. learn to work on your car yourself and you are good to go.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Zombie Defense Force

mine worked just fine for me

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: NEED HELP TO CONVINCE MY DAD

ORIGINAL: cbdr18

Hey guys wuts up.
im new to this forum, ive been wantin to get an A4 B5 real bad for a long time so now that i have graduated my dad promised me a car..
so today i asked him i wante dthe A4 and he was like AUDI is to expensive to maintain and i was like no and he said a mechanic told him.
so the help i need from yall is to tell me yalls opinion on wat the mechanic said.
Is it expensive to ya to drive your audi?
Or is it bs wat the mechanic said.

i just talked to my dad right now and he said tomorro we can go to the audi dealer to just check them out even though i dont want a new one, but anyways i just want yalls opinion please!

thanx
In general, audi is more expensive to maintain, and if you do not, you will be really bad off.
If you cant do all the repairs yourself, it is going to cost you a lot to maintain.

If you buy one, you'd better make 100% sure that its been meticulously maintained. If you cant get service records, dont buy it!!!!!
Find one thats a one or two owner car, with a service history, or you will be sorry. That is unless you can handle the repairs your self.
Still it costs $$$$
Say you bought a 99 1.8t with 100k on it.
Possible things that need replaced (all DIY costs here)
Control arms - about 500-600 DIY
Brakes - about 50 per axle DIY, rotors about 150 per axle DIY
starter - about 175 DIY
Battery - about 75 DIY
Window regulator - about 150 DIY or more
Wheel bearing - about 150 per wheel (shop)
CV joints - about $80DIY
tie-rod end - about 100 DIY, plus 150 for a 4 wheel alignment

So, my point is, if you are wrench handy, its still not going to be cheap. So, if you do get one, take your time and make sure its in pristine shape. Buy from a private owner, because a dealership will just say they dont have any records, and wont give you any history at all, then you'll be really screwed.

If you can afoord one from an audi dealer that is CPO, that is your best bet if you are not good at working on cars.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Starter? Battery? Window regulator? You make it sound like those are common replacements...

Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

yes, they pretty much are, after 100k.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cbdr18

thnx for all of yalls replies!!
for sure ima get it now!!
so wat do ya sugest i get first when i buy it?
replace the clutch and belts and brakes?
Other good replacements are the water pump, vacuum tubes, and any other tubing that may leak. Get one that has an impeccable service history and you will be just fine on the maintenance end. I made the mistake of getting one that didn't have that great of a maintenance history, and after almost a year and one trip to the dealership, I'm already $3500 deep in maintenance. Most of that is from taking it to the dealership for servicing, I will never make that mistake again. Take it to a local reputable European mechanic for repairs, or if you know cars, do all the repairs yourself and save some serious money.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Acetrebo hit it right on the head, it couldn't be put any better...... " In general, Audi is more expensive to maintain, and if you do not, you will be really bad off.
If you cant do all the repairs yourself, it is going to cost you a lot to maintain."

Also keep in mind, that not everyone will work on an Audi. I do all my own work now but i remember the Saab i had, half the places around here wouldn't touch it, thats how i started learning about all this *%&@, I'm really a software engineer by day but like doing timing belt changes at night. The internet is so great, you can learn anything.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: xav6ier

for a first mod get a intake and exhaust they r cheap and give good power gains
really cuz my exhaust cost me like 900 bucks, and the intake was like close to 400.. .chip it first.. youll be glad you did i have had mine for almost... 4 months now.. already spent to much.. wayy to much.. actually so much my wife bitches about it..

Quick Reply: NEED HELP TO CONVINCE MY DAD