Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Driver Side Power Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help With Driver Side Power Window Issue

Hey guys,

My name is Charlie and I recently bought a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0. Looking to do some of the minor work it needs myself and figured this would be a great place to get some answers to the questions I have.

Currently, the driver's side front window is stuck about 3/4 of the way closed. When pressing the window switch, you can hear the motor and the window starts to shutter up and down a bit until it stops completely.

I'm thinking its the window regulator and possibly the window itself has come off the track. However, I'm not too familiar with the style regulators fitted into Audi's. (I'm used to the ones that have the scissor lift).

I know I need to take off the door panel to fully diagnose the problem. My main question is this: is it possible the window came off the track and can easily be fitted back on? Or will I most likely need to replace the entire window regulator? I'm just curious bc I don't want to start taking everything apart and find I need to go buy a regulator after its all dismantled. If there is a way to diagnose it without getting too deep that would be the most beneficial to me.

If anyone can help me with this I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

- Charlie

Old 10-11-2015, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Ended up taking off door panel to try and diagnose the problem. Upon removing the window motor, I could see that the wire wrapped around the pulley, which turns allowing the window to move up and down, was badly frayed and completely unraveled from the pulley. Obviously the only way to fix is to install a new window regulator.

Anyways, wanted to reply with my solution in case anyone else has the same problem. Once you take off the door panel and remove the window motor, you can then look and see if the wire from the regulator has come off. If the wire shows through the hole and frayed then the window regulator needs replacing.