Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "used" car in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Default New "used" car in my future?

Hey all!

I have been a long time Audi fan, but have never owned one. I have been wanting a 2002+ A4 for sometime now. After the huge gas price spikes we had over the summer and the fact that I no longer need it, I have decided to trade in my full-size truck. I am looking at an '02 A4 1.8T manual in ming pearl blue. I would prefer black or white, but it looks like the ming blue is pretty close to black in many lighting conditions. I will probably go check it out this weekend and if everything looks good, I will drive it home.

Does anyone have any advice on what types of things (specific to an A4) to look for?

If all goes well, I will post some pics of the car this weekend!

Robo

Old 10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New "used" car in my future?

Check the service history book that comes with the car make sure its up to date.

Car fax it for accidents.

You should be able to get one around 30k-40k miles. How many does this one have?

As far as I know there aren't any glaring problems with a B6 A4, but mines a Tip.

If they put a dealer decal on the car charge 'em for advertising.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah car fax is priceless for peace of mind and service history is a bonus. Good luck and if you get it, consider chipping it so you wont be stuck in the Honda civic power catagory.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

consider chipping it so you wont be stuck in the Honda civic power catagory.
Ouch! These words hurt 80 percent of the AF members

Old 10-12-2006, 07:07 PM

The car has 69,000 on it, but is much cheaper than most A4's I have seen listed. They are asking 15k. I booked it with all its options and it came out to be a bit over 18k, so I think I will be getting a great deal. I was told they have the entire service record for it. The dealer specializes in used Audis, BMWs, VWs and Saabs. 99% of the cars they receive are directly from Audi as previous 1-owner leases. I have not car faxed it yet, but I don't expect to find anything. They also give 1% of the sale to the charity of your choice. They are definitely not your typical dealer.

I have a couple of noob questions:

1) The dealer has it listed as a 5-speed manual. I thought the 1.8T's were all 6 speed. Am I wrong?
2) I keep seeing people asking about the Audi Symphony stereo. What makes this stereo so special?
3) Does anyone know where to find the Audi 17" 5 spoke wheels? I have seen some after markets on e-bay, but the seller (OE Wheels) has a poor rating and I have seen lots of bad write-ups about them on the net.
4) What exactly does the aluminum sport finish package consist of?

That's about it for now!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:10 PM
5th Gear

im pretty sure there is a 5spd manual available
ORIGINAL: Robo

The car has 69,000 on it, but is much cheaper than most A4's I have seen listed. They are asking 15k. I booked it with all its options and it came out to be a bit over 16k, so I think I will be getting a great deal. I was told they have the entire service record for it. The dealer specializes in used Audis, BMWs, VWs and Saabs. 99% of the cars they receive are directly from Audi as previous 1-owner leases. I have not car faxed it yet, but I don't expect to find anything. They also give 1% of the sale to the charity of your choice. They are definitely not your typical dealer.

I have a couple of noob questions:

1) The dealer has it listed as a 5-speed manual. I thought the 1.8T's were all 6 speed. Am I wrong?
2) I keep seeing people asking about the Audi Symphony stereo. What makes this stereo so special?
3) Does anyone know where to find the Audi 17" 5 spoke wheels? I have seen some after markets on e-bay, but the seller (OE Wheels) has a poor rating and I have seen lots of bad write-ups about them on the net.
4) What exactly does the aluminum sport finish package consist of?

That's about it for now!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

at 69k ask if they have replaced the timing belt, or if they will consider doing it for you for the same price... its gonna need it in the next 10k max.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 PM

Are timing belts an issue on the A4s?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

post 70k yes. If it goes.... well, don't let it go