Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here with a 98 A4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Default New Here with a 98 A4 2.8

Hi everyone!

I just picked up my first Audi 98 2.8 sports edition. I was wondering what performance mods should I get first? Now before you guys start saying do some research and such, I have done some but I can use further help. I understand that there are not nearly as many mods as there are for the 1.8 turbo. I got a great deal that I couldn't turn down on the 2.8 so beggers can't be choosers right?

From what I've gathered in research, the super charger can get me in the neighborhood of 300 hp but I just don't have that kind of money right now. I am looking into gradually modding and progressing as I can afford the mods so I can use some recommendations or links to places I can read up on. I am having a tough time just finding sites for the 2.8. Most of the sites I come across are for turbo which makes sense in general, but not helpful too me.

I am also interested in aesthics mods such as body kit, exhaust, and rims.

Thanks for any help and I am ecstatic about being an Audi owner!

Jason L.
Boston MA.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: New Here with a 98 A4 2.8

Welcome, the supercharger is unfortunately the best performance option for the V6. Apart from that you won't find any worthwhile performance mods. You can do throttle body honing, bore and stroke the motor, custom headers and exhaust piping, and also an ecu chip. But they're all expensive and the hp return is not worth the money IMO. Maybe these will help...

https://www.audiforums.com/m_177186/tm.htm

http://www.scaudi.com/

Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear

if your a manual, then get a short shifer, if you have a tip, then get a tip chip from GAIC.

If your going to get a engine chip, i think its the same as the 1.8: GIAC for b5, dont ask why, just agree with GIAC.

Exhaust wise, it really depends on what size you want, since you dont have a turbo it doesnt matter that much. Borla is very nice and a favorite, prob around $800 and it is 2.25". APR and TEchtonics Borla are 2.5" bit APR is $400 more. Miltek is around $899-1000, and it is 2.75" and i heard that it is very quiet

your gonna hate me saying this but do some more searching b/c there are tons of threads on all of these questions

welcome to the forums and good job for searching before you ask questions

Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 AM
4th Gear

sorry sir, you are s.o.l for performance,
expect no more the 10-15 hp increase with intake exhaust and chip
(which are about the only performance mods for under $5000