Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to upgradeing A4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Default New to upgradeing A4?

Hey guys and gals! I am currently selling my Rx7 with mods on it and I am looking at buying an a4. Ironically I owned a 2.8 a4 before I bought the seven and I sold it to my bro. I was unhappy of the 2.8 because after I bought it, stupid me, I noticed that you cant do jack to it, other than the expensive supercharger. So now I am looking at doing it right by purchasing a 2001 1.8tquattro.

I have been reading many posts about upgrades for the 1.8t and with experience with the rx7, I need to know what needs to be done so that the engine wont cook itself with upgrades. As I said before, I am looking at buying a 2001 1.8tquattro with 74k miles for $12K. I would first like to know if this is too high or what.

Now this is what I would like to do to my car. I obviously want to make it fast and look nice. These are my definite things I am doing: rims, suspension, new headlights, tint my tailights, short shifter, body kit, exhaust. That is all I can think of at the moment, but I was wondering what the price range all that would set me back and what would you guys would recommend (i.e coilovers or not, what kind of headlights, what kind of body kit).

If I can get the guy to sell the car closer to $11k. I think I am going to dump 3.5K into the car. Now I am wondering what you guys recommend having already done your upgrades. What would you do first if you could do it all over again? Will just a chip hold me over until I have the money for the turbo/intercooler upgrade? Is an air intake worthless? I would greatly appreciate your advice and if you guys have any pics I can see, it would be even better.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:39 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: New to upgradeing A4?

i say work the guy down to about 9 or 10 grand. i bought mine with 90k for $8250. i say first do a k04 turbo and chip. you'll be very happy with that setup cuz its a good amount of horse and you dont have to make any more changes to the engine like you would with other turbos. not that expensive either. definitely get coilovers, either H&R or Koni. ecodes for the headlights, and a s4 bodykit would look nice as f*ck. intake isn't worthless but the only one that i would bother gettin, carbonio, is rather expensive. test pipe and exhaust are a good idea. these cars aren't cheap to mod so keep that in mind.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

thanks- so how much will everything run me? If I can get this guy down to 8.5, I'll have $6k to spend. So what exactly should I buy and in what order. And what about a clutch, I will need something that can handle all that horsepower. And what exactly is a test pipe?

Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

ok so u got 14.5 to spend. my first advice would be to get a b5 s4. its not impossible to find one around there with good miles but it takes some searching. but if you wana jus get a a4 i think 9.5-10k is closer to a reasonbale price for that car. so u'll have 4.5-5k for the car. u can do some damage with that kind of cash. i would suggest k04, chip, DV, n75H, intake, exhaust, test pipe, and clutch. then later when you get some more cash bigger injectors, 5 bar FPR, boost controller, and with that you will have a nice little car that is also reliable enough to be a daily driver. other people might suggest just goin wit a gt28rs setup but that all depends on what route you wana go with modding the car. i like having respectable power w/reliabilty. but ya look into the gt28rs setup, just search the forums, to see if you wana go with a higher power/more involved route.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

the only reason I am not getting an S4 is because they I would like to get a CPO on it and get it under warrenty again. Now all that money would bump me back over my price range. So I figured I just upgrade an A4. Everyone else has told me the same thing you said. If I can just keep the cost down, then I would be glad to get an S4. I also heard that the S4 can be very problematic. If you have any ideas what I should do, please let me know. I appreciate your info.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

bump for more information on what I should do

Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

what gen rx7 are you selling? today i was just talkin about how i want a 2nd gen. with my bro. sorry i mightve missed where you said that and i mightve missed this also, how much are you selling for?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

I have a 3rd gen and selling for 17.8K. It is probably too much if your looking for a second gen.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Site Moderator

Keep using the search... Info on what mods you need to get whatever power you are looking for is plentifull around here. If you tell us at least how much power you are looking for, we can better answer your question. There are lots of options.