Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and COOLANT LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
1st Gear
Default NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and COOLANT LEAK

I'm a newbie and I recently purchased an Audi A4 2002 1.8T Quattro. Seller informed me that the check engine light does not come on because he had through Griffin Moterwerkes installed an MTM chip. Has anyone heard of this? Would GIAC have been a better choice?

Also, to have the car smogged, he had the dash replaced and still did not work. Finally, he was told to have the smog station apply an output test for the CEL and it lit up for the test to get smogged. This seems odd that this could be done to pass smog.

I also have a coolant leak with a small pool of coolant and steam rising from the radiator area through the grill. How can I determine if it is the radiator or water pump? I was informed by a mechanic that the water pump has weep holes to let me know that the seals are failing. Where is the water pump located in relation to the radiator? Woulda water pump leak cause steam to rise? Will my timing belt slip if this is not fixed quickly?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and COOLANT LEAK

It sounds like he has a testpipe and a code for the post o2 from throwing a cel

The wp is plastic and the blades can break off. If you think you have a wp problem, you should change the pump and tb asap. The wp is below the tb infront of the engine

Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Thnx for the response. Previous owner stated that he did have a different cat then reinstalled the OEM part when the CEL issue appeared. Is it a matter of having the fault code cleared?

H2O pump was repalced at 84k. I assume that it was updated to metal impeller. Will the belt still be an issue?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Thnx for the response. Previous owner stated that he did have a different cat then reinstalled the OEM part when the CEL issue appeared. Is it a matter of having the fault code cleared?

H2O pump was repalced at 84k. I assume that it was updated to metal impeller. Will the belt still be an issue?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm make believe

Depends on the code. Im sure the car still gets a cel for other faults but not for cat below effiecency code.

If the pump was replaced so was the TB. And since they only sell metal replacements, the wp shouldnt be a problem, the gasket could however, but thats not likely. The only way your going to find the lead is if you go looking for it.

So, only worry about a cel if you get one and look for the leak

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

If its a water pump leak, do I need to be concerned about the belt slipping, with the assumption that WP has metal impeller. How long can I go without frying something, ie. valves,if I replenish the coolant constantly?

Do you know of any reputable Audi tuners in the San Francisco Bay Area of California?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Does this impact the heater for my car? It doesn't seem to warm up even with the temp at high.