Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Noise

Well I just got new brakes and rotors on my 99 1.8tq and it's been about a 1000 miles and still get the annoying whinning noise like they are ready to replace again ive tryed everything. what could it be it's exstremely louad and embarassing what could it be some times it sounds like it not the brakes. but what else could it be? it's not only when i hit the brakes it's a constant whinning it only gets very loud when i hit the brakes. any help would be great.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Noise

Could be rotors. Did you replace them or resurface them?

Could be calipers are not retracting fully, and new pads are rubbing lightly on the rotors.

Could be bearings. Was the noise there before you replaced your brakes? What makes you think the brakes were the source of the noise in the first place?

Some punctuation in your questions would help too.

What makes it worse and what makes it better. Is it present at all times, or noly when you apply the brakes.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Can you send an audio file????

Like the Alloys... what are they????

Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 PM
6th Gear

did you use any type of brake antisqeel behind the pads?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

maybe you got them lil bit tight on there, thats what was happening to my moms Accord and i loosened it up little bit and its fine now

Old 06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

What kind of pads are you running? If they are high performance pads, they WILL squeak until you get them heated up. If you did not start with brand new pads AND fresh rotors, you may be able to help the noise a little by making sure the pads are properly "bedded in" to your rotors.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:51 AM
1st Gear

^^^ Good call. My dads got a porsche 911 with pagid black pads. those beasts hollar like a banshee outa hell on the road, but man when they heat up they are NUTS. he usually runs pagid blues on the road cuase they don't squeel as much, haha and they're not 500 a set or something crazy

Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

EDIT ^ he only runs the blacks on the track because of the noise

Old 06-16-2005, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

My guess is that it's either your brakes or a bad wheel bearing.

Check to make sure your pads are in right. I installed a pad slightly crooked one time and man did it squeal. You couldn't tell it was improperly installed until you took the calliper off. Then you could see one corner worn down way more than the other. If you do take apart your brakes to investigfate the squealing, make sure you use anit-squeal on the back of the pads and make sure you lube up all the metal to metal contacts (at the slides and on the edges of the pads where they sit against the calipers).

Somtetimes you can feel the presence of a bad wheel bearing through the gas pedal-sort of a grinding feel. A bad wheel bearing will typically make grinding, whining or squealing noises, and you can often feel the looseness or roughness if you raise the suspension and rotate the wheel by hand.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

would not the hub heat up the point of smoking appearing due to the burning grease? ie bearing to replace!

Quick Reply: Noise