Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Scanner and VAG-COM Cable Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 AM
Default OBDII Scanner and VAG-COM Cable Info

So I was getting ready to go out and purchase an OBDII Scanner and was wondering who had experience with what.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Snap-On Scanner with the various cartridges and keys to make it compatible with pretty much anything.

Any input or experiences?

Old 01-02-2006, 05:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Snap-On Scanner MT2500

One of the class B mechanics i worked with had one like the snap-on with the different connections and all that jazz and it was pretty awesome. But if you aren't a mechanic i wouldnt drop the $$$ for a fancy one like that, just a generic OBDII scanner. You don't need all the extra stuff on the godly ones...although if you got the money go right ahead.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:11 AM

Do you know of any that display the Code and the description all on the LCD w/o needing to refer to the manual they usually give you?

Also, are there any Audi specific or VW for that matter as opposed to a generic OBDII. Wouldn't a generic restrict you from viewing ABS, Airbag, and other system errors, or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Old 01-02-2006, 06:17 AM
3rd Gear

i forget the brand of this less expensive one another mechanic had, but yea it displayed the code and description. And there are types that you can load manufacturer software on, but those are the godly ones, idk if they make less expensive models that are manufacturer specific. Just do your research and make sure you compare prices, you can find a used one somewhere too i bet...if you call a mactools or snap-on guy they have alot of used ones that they get from mechanics who buy new ones. Another option is just a VAG cable and software for a laptop/PC.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

i used to have a MT2500..
its decent but its becoming quite obsolete for freeze frame data diagnosing because of its frame rate capture being very low.
i just upgraded to a Solus and bought a Vantage Pro ( 2 chanel lab scope )

Old 01-02-2006, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear

everything snapon makes is good

Old 01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear

i dont mean to hijack this thread but i think this info, if answered could be useful for the both of us. I am interested in buying a vag com and i looked on ebay for a cable and i saw a lot. I remeber someone saying they werent the right size though? also lets say i bought a vag-com cable were would i purchase/download the software i want to do it right no illegally b/c i want the full version. thanks

Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM

No hijacking at all.

I changed the name of the topic so let's see if we can't get some people to throw out some OBDII devices/sources that work well, and also some VAG-COM cables/software info.

I'm looking for something to be able to read codes, clear codes, and also change the programming for items such as making the remote wind windows up and down and what not.

So throw out some info on this.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

I was the one who bought the cheap ebay cable and it didn't fit. All I had to do was dremel out the plastic housing around the OBD II port. I use it about once a week now. The full version can be purchased at www.ross-tech.com.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM

VAG-COM Cable
eBay - Required Cutting to fit on OBDII Port

VAG-COM Software
Ross-Tech - $229 Full Version

OBDII Scanner
Snap-On MT2500 - Freeze Frame Data Diagnosing Lacking

Quick Reply: OBDII Scanner and VAG-COM Cable Info