Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd sound after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Odd sound after oil change

2004 A4Q owner.

I know. Sounds in car are like back pain...unless you're the one experiencing the pain its really hard to understand. But here goes.

Recently I replaced the oil filter/oil in my car and air filter. After getting everything buttoned back up the engine started making a loud taping sound after start up. Sound goes away after a minute. Runs very well for 5-8 minutes, then the sound returns. I noticed at the moment the sound returns the temperature gauge jumps to vertical. Not a slow warm up as one might expect. I can shut it off, walk away for a few hours return to it and sound starts all over again. FYI the sounds is similar to someone tapping a penny on a table top. Loud and fast. Sounds seems to come from the rear of the engine.

I have replaced the oil filter, timing chain, thermostat, water pump and timing chain tension-er.
What could I be missing? Is it possible the oil cooler is going bad?

I find it odd the problem occurred immediately following an oil change.

Please help. I do not want to damage the car.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

What size engine do you have? I am not to familiar with the 1.8. If you have that engine I wonder if you have sludge blocking the oil pickup line. That could restrict oil flow and cause engine noise. If the oil isn't circulating your engine would also heat up quicker.

If you have the 2.0T I am more perplexed. Since you just did an oil change I would confirm you have enough oil in the car as a first step (bet you did this already). I am guessing you also checked for any leaks (drain plug, oil filter tight) as well.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for responding. Yes, it is the 1.8 turbo. I had another new filter on hand and went ahead and replaced the one I just put on. By your assumption I quess the next step would be to drop the oil pan? Any chance a bad oil pump would cause the problem? Oil pressure is fine, so I initially ruled out a bad pump.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know much about the sludge issue. I would be with you on most likely needing to get that clean out. Not sure how hard it would be to change out the pump while the pan is off. Might be something to consider though.