B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

odd behavior after air filter change....any ideas? details inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM
1st Gear
Default odd behavior after air filter change....any ideas? details inside.....

So i noticed the filter that was on the car when i bought it(short spectre cone filter with adapter plate) the filter looked extremly dirty. Thought it was a black filter but had removed it to look it over-well the inside was blue. Assuming the filter was dirty i replaced it with a brand new same exact filter. Nothing was unhooked except MAF wire and unscrewed the intake from the black hose connected to the throttle body. Put new one on....buttoned it all back up.

Upon starting the car-it started fine as ever. Normally the car idles around 1500-2000 rpm's than drops a lil below 1000...and i drive off. But after filter change...the car starts the same but whn the rpm's drop-they drop to damn near 0 and the car barely sounds like it can run under its own power. It has actually stalled out twice on me today and never have i had it do that to me since owning the car. Drives fine but when im at a light sitting the rpm's are damn near at 0 and i can barely hear the car running. The car is a 2001 a4 quattro with a 2.8 auto. I dnt know whats going on and am in dire need of some info and/or help. I even put the old one back on. Tried undoing battery cables to reset ecu....still acting the same now. Anybody......please help!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

And i want to add....i just checked all clamps are tight as hell. The car idles at 150-200 rpm. The smell of gas is beyond strong. Could it be possible my maf isnt reading correctly at idle? As i stated....drives flawlessly. Its the sitting still idle thats all of a sudden out of wack. Was told to check my maf sensor itselff as i may have had something in the fliter that got sucked and is blocking the sensor? Dnt make sense to me but ill look into any advice right now. Im at work at the moment and dnt have the car with me, so any info aquired will be applied upon me getting back to the car. Thanks again fellas

Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Could also be that the car is essentially saying "Whoa, WTF?!" with the drastically improved breathing I imagine it now has. Drive it on the highway for awhile and slow down/speed up some to help it learn the new airflow. You may also need to do a throttle adaptation.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

As i said....i shall consider any and all options. Only thing im iffy on is the strong..and i mean STRONG fuel smell. Theres no smoke out the exhaust so i dnt thnk its running rich(my old 240 would have black smoke out the exhaust when it was running rich). Was told at work i may have a stuck injector and the car burns the fuel while driving but cnt burn it fast enuff while its idling? Wtf??

Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

No dice. Got home from work and got to lookn at the car. Considered driving on the freeway but that didnt happen. I started the car....it idled at 800-900 rpm off rip. It was 42* last night so i was expecting at least a high idle and thn drop to that. Nope. Fired up and nstatly sat at 800-900. Fuel smell extremely strong. There was some smoke(faint as hell but visible) on the passenger bank of the motor. Turned it off and then left it alone. Im thinkn possibly a fouled out plug? Not burning fuel properly? Sticking injector instead of it pulsing like it should?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Check and see if your intake air temp sensor is plugged in properly.. It should be located somewhere between the maf and the throttle body plate.. Small sensor 2 wire..

Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Gota go back in for anothr fun 12hr shift. But i figured out what it may be. On the MAF connector there are 4 wires. One of thm are broke and isnt connected to anything. Now the wire is to short to resplice back to the connector.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

I spliced in a little 6" wire(tho was a speaker wire and not a legit electrical wire....same gauge of wire tho) car is back up and running. For now. But odd part was after driving around and i put it n reverse-the car hesitated to move. And after a light rev tap it backed up but it threw itself into gear. Fairly hard. Could this be related to my maf wiring issue?

The car is running great tho. Purring at the stop lights. Pulling and taking off smooth so i feel good about the car its jus this trans thing now.

Also noticed on the main wire bundle on the engine harness going to the maf that there are 4wires visible. 1 blue 1 green and 2 yellow. And those are going into the connector. But at the base of the loom right where the wires split in their own direction...there is a really small black wire. Anyone know what that is?