Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh those high clutches

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Oh those high clutches

Did you guys eventually get so used to them that it's not in any way a nuisance?

I've recently test drove a manual 2000 1.8t, and while everything else about the car was close to perfect, the high clutch was a little irritating. Especially after stepping from a BMW and it's low clutch point. I'm a tall guy too (6'4") and while I wasn't in any way cramped in, the fact that in order to feel the clutch catch I had to pretty much remove my foot from the clutch pedal. It just seemed like with the BMW, there was a lot more control when it comes to the clutch. It's the only thing holding me back now, and I've actually started considering gettng a 328is instead, but the Bimmer's modability is practically 0. Blah.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Oh those high clutches

You will get used to it man.

I came from an old Accord and the clutch grabbed right off of the floor. It was a little awkward driving the Audi at first because the clutch grab point is the exact opposite of the Accord. After driving it a little while, you learn the clutch point and can drive it just as smoothly. It wasn't such a big deal that I ever considered not getting the car, I knew I would learn it and get used to it. I think I still prefer the clutch grabbing at the floor, but I drove that way for years and have only had the Audi for a few months.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Its not that bad. Well its perfect for me being pretty short, and the first car I learned how to drive manual on.

And yea...a new clutch cost me $700, but labor cost me about $850. I'm never asking Audi to install anything for me again. Their labor rate raped my wallet.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

its only anyyong going from a stop to start..
when shifting you only have to press the clutch in maybe a quarter for a smooth shift

Old 10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I suppose it's dumb to pass up a good car just because of that.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Honestly it is.

I learnd to drive a manual on a 89 mustang 3spd. basically the hardest manual there is to drive.

then going to this car, it was amazing. you really getused to it, and i actually like it

driving to school or work at 6 in the mourning when i am tired as ****, you dont have to throw your leg to the floor inorder to put it in gear in stop adn go traffic.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

you get used to it really fast.

I dont really ever think about it, except at a hard launch.....bit it works just fine.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:44 AM
2nd Gear

i like when it catches lower too, when i drive my buddy's 328 i love it, it catches nice and low. but i'm lazy so the high point in our cars isn't too bad 'cause just push it in like half way and you're chill. haha

Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Bip
1st Gear

I actaully like the higher clutch friction point.. all of hte other cars i drive that are manual dont seem as comfortable as my audi

Old 10-08-2006, 04:21 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I still prefer it up high compared to other clutches I've driven. Unfortunately I've been driving my Jetta so that I'm not used to the Audi clutch anymore and I always make the car buck.

Quick Reply: Oh those high clutches