Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter delema

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Filter delema

My car (B5 1.8T) is about due for an oil change, I have about 5000Km or maybe abit more on it since the last change. The previous owner did the last oil change just befor I bought the car and said he used synthetic oil. The more I start thinking about things the sooner I want to get that oil out of there and new trusted oil back in (should have been done long ago I know). In 2 days I will be going on abit of a road trip, about 5 hrs, so I want to do an oil change. I have everything that I need except for the mann large filter, I have a fram filter for the car (I have used the same filter many times for other cars and seems to work well) and will not be able to get the other filter befor I leave. There is currently a mann large filter on the car (not sure if it was replaced or not with the last oil change).
My question : Should I hold on the oil change all together? Should I just change oil and not the filter? Should I change oil and Filter (using the fram, which is a good oil filter).

Thanks alot guys: Luke

Old 11-23-2006, 12:32 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Oil Filter delema

I use the Fram TG2870A fiter with no problem.
Use one of the following oils:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_16044/tm.htm

Old 11-24-2006, 05:22 AM
3rd Gear

I'd get anything but Fram... but thats my opinion.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:49 AM
2nd Gear

NOTE!!!!!::

I have a K&N oil filter, and i shouldnt. i have been talking with guys, and apparently, the larger filters like the car comes with hold 1/2 a quart more, and that isapparently very important for proper engine cooling. yes, a smaller filter will work, but it si reccomended to use a bigger one.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

I didn't know that the larger filter had anything to do with cooling, I guess that's a good thing to know now.

I've been using Mobile 1 filter's with no problem's. This past oil change I went with the Mobile 1 Extended life which is larger.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

Use a Mann or Mahle filter. There's a service bulletin from VW/Audi that recommends that only the larger filter be used.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:53 PM

by using a larger oil filter you are one, expanding the amount of area the oil filter can cool oil down, but it really isn't much. The main thing is that extra half quart of oil, it means the oil isn't being cycled as many times through the engine as with a half quart less. Its getting less use, and oil is not only used to lubricate but to cool as well, the more, the merrier (too much isn't a good thing though).

- That was probably the most confusing explanation i've ever written, but I'm eating Subway, so I wanted to type in a hurry. It may take a few times to understand what the hell I meant.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter delima

that's an extremely sensible answer and a very viable point indeed +1

Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear
Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter delima

if you haven't done any mods on the oil system like the ko4 and a larger inter cooler then the standard filter is recommended

Quick Reply: Oil Filter delema