Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear
Default OIL OVERHEATING

When stuck in traffic our oil temp exceeds 100 (C)which makes the water temp rise to 110. Until recently the max oil temp was 60-70 and it has only recently started getting up to 100 or so. We took the car to the Audi dealer who ran the diagnostics on it and came back with replacing the oil sensor which we did but the problem remains!!!! When the tech replaced the oil sensor we were advised that the oil temp should not exceed 65. Also, when the temp does rise, the engine starts to lose power so something is not right here. Any suggestions about where to look, as the car does not use any coolant and on long runs and highway is fine????.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: OIL OVERHEATING

ORIGINAL: trin_007

When stuck in traffic our oil temp exceeds 100 (C)which makes the water temp rise to 110. Until recently the max oil temp was 60-70 and it has only recently started getting up to 100 or so. We took the car to the Audi dealer who ran the diagnostics on it and came back with replacing the oil sensor which we did but the problem remains!!!! When the tech replaced the oil sensor we were advised that the oil temp should not exceed 65. Also, when the temp does rise, the engine starts to lose power so something is not right here. Any suggestions about where to look, as the car does not use any coolant and on long runs and highway is fine????.
Come again? Where the hell are you in the world and what engine do you have?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

We are in Queensland , Australia with a 1997 2.6ltr A4.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Site Moderator

100C is the correct temp for the oil, it should always be around 100 at normal operating temp, if it somethimes stays below that you probably have a problem with the thermostat. Im not familiar with the 2.6 motor because its not in the states, i would have them run the fault codes again, it shouldn't affect performance.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: trin_007

Come again? Where the hell are you in the world and what engine do you have?
auditech - I think when he said the car "does notuse any coolant", he meant to say he doesn't notice any drop in the coolant level. at least that's the way I understood it. [8D]

Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Site Moderator

I know what he meant, but he didn't tell me where he was from. If he was from iceland or something then running just water could run him into some problems, wouldn't you think?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM

It sounds to me like the thermostat needs to be replaced.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I know what he meant, but he didn't tell me where he was from. If he was from iceland or something then running just water could run him into some problems, wouldn't you think?
ah yes, I hadn't thought of that. good point!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Slut

this is no racecar... its not like hes running straight water in his daily driver, maybe a little WaterWetter in there too

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Just to clarify -we don't ever have to top up the coolant - since replacingthe radiator that is. The fan, water pump and thermostat have also just been changed (along with the timing belt) but the problem persists. The Audi tech also expected the car to lose coolant when the temp rose but this is not the case. And we are running 100% premixed coolant.

PS - I say 'we' because I'm a 'she' and my husband feeds me the info......appreciate any help (with the car that is [8D])

Quick Reply: OIL OVERHEATING