Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP!! Car is choking badly

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default PLEASE HELP!! Car is choking badly

Hi everyone,

I've been hounding the forums for 2 weeks with no success. I just picked up a 98 A4 1.8T 2WD 88K miles w/no mods last month and it was driving fine until 2 weeks ago.

I've been having issues with the car wanting to stall. Sometimes as I'm driving, the car feels like it chokes real quick and then goes away. Once I stop at a light after it does that, the car's rpm fluctuates really low and wants to stall. Trying to accelerate after that is almost impossible as the car struggles to stay on. Sometimes, the rpm would rev up and then go back to choking. If I'm lucky, it would go back to normal and I can accelerate away but very rare.

If I turn off the car and turn it back on and it's fine again until the surging comes back.. sometimes right away.. sometimes not at all. When the engine is trying to stay alive, I can smell fuel when I'm standing in front of the engine bay with the hood open. I thought it was an ignition issue.. but I'm not so sure anymore.

All I've changed in the engine is the Ignition control module, all 4 coil packs, air filter, oil, coolant, coolant temp sensor, and thermostat. I've checked the spark plugs and they all look normal.

Anyone have the same problem and found a resolution?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

npham

Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: PLEASE HELP!! Car is choking badly

Does anyone know if the 1.8t motor has an Idle Control Valve? I know the 2.8 does, I'd figure that the 1.8t does as well, or at least a parts equivalent? If you were driving a 2.8, hands down first thing I'd tell you to check is the ICV. clean it or replace it.

- Ryan