Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch

just bought my 2000 A4 1.8 Quattro.

Quick question about the clutch; I can engage the clutch within the 1st inch- inch 1/2. In fact that is the only 'play' I have. Meaning when releashing the clutch, say outta first gear, the only time I even start to engage the gear I am **right at the Very top of the extension and them, BAM, it grabs.

So do I have a good clutch or is it need of being replaced? (I am used to domestic clutches that go engage starting at the floorboard.)

Old 09-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch

I just got mine, and it feels the same way. Rest easy, your clutch is fine.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 PM
4th Gear

Well, mine felt that way right before it was put in 3 pieces.The one I have now is not all at the end its kinda spread out. Do you have th oem clutch?

Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Yea I think the clutch is stock. The car was a corporate lease, has solid maintaince history. Most are saying the clutch is solid. Just seems a little 'shallow' to me. She goes in next week for an overview checkup and tuneup. Have a darn popping sound from the front right wheel (maybe control arm)

Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 PM

I'd say that even if there is nothing wrong with it, if you're just plain uncomfortable with the feel of it, have it adjusted if possible. After all, it's your car and you should enjoy the feel of driving it the way you want to.. good luck

Old 09-04-2004, 07:07 AM
3rd Gear

Sounds fine - bear in mind that the OE Audi clutch is a self-adjusting clutch, too.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

I use to love the feel of my clutch in my 2000 1.8TQ until ..... about 2 weeks ago, I went to cross a highway and had to go in a hurry to beat a large truck headed toward me. I went to go as normal (there was a slight incline) and all I got was a screaming motor with a nearly buried tach. I tried to go twice and got the same. I finally got the clutch to grab and then I smelled something really bad. After that the clutch had just the feel you describe. So I just got a new OEM clutch put in by my new independent shop and damn if the clutch doesn't have the same light, grab-at-the-top-suddenly feel to it. So to me it still feels like something is wrong. What else could there be? Now the caveat - I just bought my 86 Porsche 911 turbo and the clutch in that has a way heavier feel and grabs a lot closer from the floor. I am wondering if all the driving I have been doing in this the past month has just got me screwed up and incapable of remembering what the Audi really used to feel like. Am I crazy? I think I am going to go find a couple models like mine in MA and NH to see what they drive like.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

Well, with the OEM clutch, it's not a good idea to rev above about 2250 or so when you engage the clutch. Do you know whether they replaced the throw out bearing with the clutch?

Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 PM

the throwout bearing has to be replaced when the clutch is replaced other wise it wont fit right. heres how i fixed the problem your having. i got a 2x4 and cut it to about 4" long and taped it behind the clutch pedal right above where the clutch pedal makes a bend. i used electrical tape to secure it. and it will make your shifts faster.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

Lol, are you serios? It sounds like it would work pretty good. Did you only used electrical tape to sercure it?

Quick Reply: Question about the 'feel' of the audi clutch